What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Theory About Redness That Makes Sense!!

I was reading some other posts from a while ago and I have found out that lots of people have experience better trap coloration when they put their plants in filtered light. I thought about it and concluded that maybe the flytraps do that because if they are overrun by grasses in the summer that filter out some of the light then the flytrap would have to make it's traps more noticable so that insects could see them through the grass. But if there aren't any grasses to filter out the light and the plant is sitting in the open then maybe it doesn't need as much coloration for insects to notice them... I'm just kinda wondering if it is just me or what I just said makes a ton of sense??? any more thoughts on the subject would be sweet!!

I have plants with red traps that are in open sunlight, no grasses to block the sunlight, it also depends on the plant.

There's one way to find out.

xvart.

I too have plants with deep red traps that are growing in full sunlight. I think that there are too many variables to pin it down to just the amount or type of light that the plant receives.

The season might have a great influence on the redness of the traps. It seems to me that traps are more colorful late in the summer.

yeah you guys are right. But it sounded good to me at 10:30 last night :blush: maybe ill experiment this year and see what happens

For many cultivars, you're right. IIRC, Bugweed, one of the true CP veterans around here, reports a large number of plants with this kind of behavior. But as in most things, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule. For what it's worth, your reasoning sounds solid.
~Joe

For me, the ones growing at ground level with full direct sun all morning have the most red. Cooler temps seem to bring out red color in a lot of plants. - Rich

Back