What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing CPs without humidity dome?

I'm curious to learn which carnivorous plants can survive without a humidity dome in northern California. Does anyone know a few from memory that could survive here that way?

I'm currently growing venus flytraps in terrariums but could they survive without their domes here? (zone 9a/10a, northern California). I'm also interested in growing other CPs, like sarracenia, but they'd have to be grown outside. How can I tell which carnivorous plants could survive outside or without a humidity dome in this climate?

i live in Socal and i grow my dinaea outside with no problem......and here it's realy dry!

I'm curious to learn which carnivorous plants can survive without a humidity dome in northern California. Does anyone know a few from memory that could survive here that way?

Pretty much all of them; especially in Nothern California.

xvart.

Last edited:
especially in Southern California.

And northern California (that's where Kefka666 indicated he/she is from) near the coast where it doesn't freeze. You can put pretty much any common temperate CP (Dionaea, Sarracenia, Drosera) outside year round there.

And northern California (that's where Kefka666 indicated he/she is from)

Whoops! Thanks for pointing that out.

xvart.

You do not need a humidity dome for venus fly traps. I don't know where the idea ever came from. I grow my dionaea and sarracenia in Phoenix, AZ in open pots under fluorescent lights and they grow just fine. The humidity level is 10% right now. I just water my plants every few days and mist them with a spray bottle every other day for the heck of it. They're thriving.

Wow, this is very encouraging! I'm growing the VFT under T5HO's so I'll remove the dome and circulate air with a fan. It's nice knowing that I can grow other CP's here with no added humidity.

You do not need a humidity dome for venus fly traps. I don't know where the idea ever came from. I grow my dionaea and sarracenia in Phoenix, AZ in open pots under fluorescent lights and they grow quite well. It's currently 10% humidity here.

You don't even need a fan!

Ditch the dome and the fan.

almost all cp's except nepenthes, heliamphora, cephalotus do absolutely fine with low humidity. They are not particular about humidity for the most part as plants like dews and flytraps are near the ground in bogs where the media is damp and provides a good microenvironment. :)

I live in Nor. Cal., and though I currently grow all my plants in a greenhouse, at this point in the season I could even grow Highland Nepenthes outside without a problem (I live in a very humid area of Humboldt County). From what I've heard (and experienced), Northern California is one of the best places to grow carnivorous plants.

The plants will do fine in low humidity. Just remember to let them adjust to it gradually or the leaves will get crisped from the sudden change.

Back