What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT

hi all

i'm thinking of buying a VFT but i still have some questions.

- where do you put your VFT?
- do i have to feed it with insects ect.?
- do those mouth thingy's (don't know the name) die? iff they do, do i have to cut them off?

well thats it for now.. hope you can help me with it.

Thnx

See ya

ooh yeah i know my english sucks. i'm from holland but i hope you understand.

1: dunno
2: nah i red somewhere you don't have to feed them, that they can survive just as long as a normal VFT whitout eating a single insect (forgot where)
3: acclimating thingy someone else plz explain it T.T

I put my VFT outside in the summer. The traps (mouth thingys) should turn nice and red if they are outside in direct sunlight.

I like to feed mine, I think it makes it grow more, but you don't have to feed them all the time like a pet. A bug every once in a while is probably fine. But if they're outside they'll catch plenty of their own bugs. Each trap can only close around 3 to 5 times or something, then it stops working. So that means if someone closes them on purpose too many times then they stop working. I think it takes a day or two for a trap to re-open if it has no bug in it, but if it has a bug it takes something like 10 days to digest it and open again. After it digests the bug, all that's left is a dry crispy bug skeleton. You can spray it with water and carefully scrape it out with a toothpick, as long as you don't trigger the trap.

Yes, the traps (mouth thingys) die. I think they last for a month or something like that. But don't worry, the whole plant has lots of leaves on it, and they grow back. One plant has somewhere around 6 leaves I think. You should cut them off from the base of the plant when they get all black and shrively. I think the trap dies first then the leaf starts to die.

1. Anywhere that gets a lot of sun.

2. No, you don't have to, but you can and should (extra nutrients). Though, none is better than too much is what I've heard.

3. Yes, the modified leaves, or traps, don't last forever. You should be able to just cut off the leaf as close to the base as you can if the whole leaf is dead.

The traps die after they close 3 to 4 times.
(So don't tease them!;))

hey, what place are you thinking of buying your flytrap from? I sure hope it's not the hardware store.

You can get healthy flytraps from FlyTrapShop

You put your vft outside in full sun, you do not have to cut off dead leaves/traps but it is a good idea. If you have mild winters keep it outdoors it is not tropical, it requires a dormancy to do well longterm. You don't have to worry about feeding them, they are designed to attract and capture their own insects.

i put my VFT outside
depends what you would feed them. some insect would kill the trap(like a ladybug :( )
traps would die in like a month or so, but you shouldnt cut em off until its black and crispy and when it dies down all the way down to the base. personally, i dont cut it. more photosynthesis thingy.

You can spray it with water and carefully scrape it out with a toothpick, as long as you don't trigger the trap.

this is so damn hard to do T.T

can't i just leave it in?

thnx all, this information is really helpfull.. i bet i'll need your help a few times but you'll see it then.

Thnx again :p:D

Have a look at www.sarracenia.com/faq.html

- where do you put your VFT?
In an unheated greenhouse, a sunny windowsill, or outside in a sheltered spot. They need warmth and maximum sun.

- do i have to feed it with insects ect.?
Insects act as 'fertiliser'. The plant will be fine without insects, but grow a bit more quickly if they catch things.

do those mouth thingy's (don't know the name) die? iff they do, do i have to cut them off?
Each trap lasts a 3 or 4 months. Once they turn brown, you can cut them off if you want. New growth continually emerges from the centre of the plant.

this is so damn hard to do T.T

can't i just leave it in?

Well you could leave it in, I just usually take mine out because it looks kindof gross and it takes up room in the trap. Some people say they leave them in to attract spiders.

Well you could leave it in, I just usually take mine out because it looks kindof gross and it takes up room in the trap. Some people say they leave them in to attract spiders.

i've had a trap with 3 dead insect in it once. first there was a big green fly, then i dont know where the wasp came from, but it was right on top of the fly. then a spider to top it off, so i had legs and wings and heads sticking out the trap when its shut tight..... that trap died the next week.

>>>>>hey, what place are you thinking of buying your flytrap from? I sure hope it's not >>>>>the hardware store.

>>>>>You can get healthy flytraps from FlyTrapShop

Hmmmmm!!!!I didn't know that Andrew shipped overseas.

i'm going, yes i'm going, going to the, hard going to the, i'm going to the going to hard going to the hardwaaareestooooooooooooooooooooooorrreeeee!!!!!:-))

ok i have an other question

What soil should the VFT be in. Does it need a special mixture?

later

yes, VFT's need very particular medium,
most CP's ( carnivorous plants ) can stand to do with a 1:1 peat/perlite mix, if you buy some of those 2 things you can pot up almost all Cp's and will with time adjust it to your personal style and taste.

you need to do some reading home boy. its the best way to get started.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81026

if it misses anything post in here someone will catch you up to speed

Just go to any good garden centre and ask for Sphagnum moss peat, and perlite. They will do fine in this mixture, half sphagnum moss peat and half perlite. Monifiec.

And make sure it's not from Miracle-Gro. Or you can order online on from Andy on FlyTrapShop.com

It HAS to be fertilizer free soil.

Back