What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside of traps red.

For some reason, a few of my VFT's traps are red both on the inside and the outside. The outside is more of a purple dark red than the inside, plus one of them has this green stripe down one side. I think it's only on a few of them because I think I have more than one plant. Is this normal? Here's a picture of one of the traps.
P6100001.jpg

normal. don't worry

Will it stop doing this? I think it's kindof cool looking.

yeah my Big mouth VFTs are doing the same thing. It happened when I put them out in full sun and they colored up a bit. :boogie: It's probably an indicator of plenty of sunlight

Those ones are older from when I first put them out in sunlight. I took them back inside because it's really crappy outside. Now the traps are bright green and really small, only about 1/2 inch. They used to be at least 1 inch. I'll put them back outside as soon as it clears up.

I have noticed this with my traps as well. It is definitely related to the sun. I have had one trap laying on top of half of another trap and the one that was half covered only turned half red.

You won't get coloration like that again until you start giving it sunlight again.

Yeah I know, I put it out in the sun today because it's supposed to be nice out for a while.

why don't you leave them outside all the time, it's not like these plants get lonely and need your attention all day long. They can handle it don't worry

I agree with Celox, leave outside all the time right in the sun!!

Bring in them then rerelease them constantly can only put under stress them;)

I third the motion..
there is no reason to move a plant in and out depending on the weather..
if its sunny, cloudy, rainy..doesnt matter..just leave it outside all the time.

The only exceptions are early spring and autumn, when the temps get low.

If its above 35 degrees F, leave it outside..regardless of the weather.

Scot

yep
leave it outside
my bog gardens are full of plants i rescued from Lowes
id say well over 300$ worth. i leave them all outside in the weather that lately has been ranging 45ºF nights 60ºF days. they are all doing fine, starting to pull back slowly :3
you need to just leave it in once place, moving it around will stress it out and kill it.

as a beginer you tend to do too much...this is a classic one. you need to care less about your plants....just don't forget to water them!

It's raining alot so if I forget to water them the rain does it for me.

Hi maneatingmoo, where abouts are you at in Michigan, i leave most my plants outside by my pond durring late spring and all summer with exceptions of really bad weather they come in, we get super high winds and hail along with very hard down pours, with us being in the woods and all the tree branches that fall i bring my plants in till its nice out again i cant take any chances of anything falling or smashing my plants let alone them being washed away from such heavey down pours. We just got over having really BAD storms along with funnel clouds and tornado's bad bad flooding, i have spent the whole day out cleaning up around my pond and tending to plants that got damaged, had to clean the whole pond and filter and water fall/cascade, tree branches down everywhere and the yard looks like a flood went thru it. Im glad i got all my CP's in that night befour we had to leave here in a hurry to take cover at my daughters basement. Anyways its best to have them outside.

Back