What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

live sphagnum moss

Hi there I've heard that the best way to get leaf pullings to strike is to lay them on live sphagnum moss. I put my in a 1:1 mixture of milled sphagnum moss and perlite. Will this work and if not where can I get some live sphagnum moss? Thanks

It probably will, depending on the plant, I guess.

I heard you can grow live sphagnum moss by floating some of that dried dead sphagnum moss in distilled water. I tried but it got dumped out.

I suspect they will strike when grown on anything that is neutral or mildly acidic, nutrient poor that holds moisture. Many people find floating the pulling in distilled water works as well as any other medium.

I'm willing to bet there's nothing magical about live Sphagnum other then the fact that it is live and people will take more care to keep it (and the pulling) damp.

So, yes, your peat/perlite mixture should work. It's mostly a matter of luck.

On a whim I did a leaf pulling and just put it in a small ziplock bag with some moist lfs and left it alone . In about a month it struck and I took it out of the bag and planted it with my other flytraps. I think as long as you keep it moist and make sure you get some of the white rhizome with your pulling, it will strike on just about any nutrient free medium.

I get a strike rate of almost 100% and I don't use live sphagnum. I have tried floating them in distilled water, putting them on peat and in long fibered sphagnum. All of those options worked great.

I'd buy a bag of the dried LFS and keep saturated, uncovered, under strong lighting. Currently, I have leaves in cups of live LFS, under a Grolite. The above post sums things up well.

Back