What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plague?

In all my years of growing CP I've never experienced this. Most of my Sundews, Butterworts, and Flytraps have turned black and died. Actually, the Flytraps have died back to the bulb. They aren't dead. What is so startling about this phenomenon is that the all of these plants were growing scattered about in separate pots. The other plants in the pots (Sarracenia mostly) have not shown any signs of this. I have absolutely no idea what this is. Anyone experience something similar?

In all my years of growing CP I've never experienced this. Most of my Sundews, Butterworts, and Flytraps have turned black and died. Actually, the Flytraps have died back to the bulb. They aren't dead. What is so startling about this phenomenon is that the all of these plants were growing scattered about in separate pots. The other plants in the pots (Sarracenia mostly) have not shown any signs of this. I have absolutely no idea what this is. Anyone experience something similar?

It could be a number of things. Soil contamination, over-watering, rot, fungus, pests. What are your growing conditions like? Have you recently repotted?

Thanks for your response Joosa.

Overwatering- Highly unlikely. I grow on the dry side and it hasn't rained much.

Rot- This probably goes along with overwatering. And it's in most of them in separate pots far away from each other.

Fungus- I suppose. But I've never dealt with it before, so wouldn't know.

Pests- I don't know what would cause this without displaying other symptoms.

Any extreme weather lately? A hot dry or cold snap? A lot of my indoor Drosera in my tank took a hit recently that I blame on some of the hot dry spells we've had. The survivors are recovering but they're not ready for prime time (i.e. the NASC auction).

Maybe one of the ozone layer holes drifted over FL. Kind of far from the poles but you never know.

It's been very hot and dry. But that's not very unusual for this time of the year. And I've never had this problem.

Back