What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Trap

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
Noticed this today:
TrifoldVFTRS.jpg

I've seen pics of other deformed/malformed traps (usually doubles) so I figured I'd share this one (a 1st deformed trap for me)...

It has a Predator mouth!

predator.jpg

Awesome! Have you tested to see if it's functional?

THAT is really cool. I don't normally like deformed pitchers but...that is pretty cool!

If it would reproduce true, you could call it "Threesome" or "Triumvirate" or "Trifecta" or "Three's Company"...endless possibilities!

does it have 2 trigger hairs per trap wall? hard to tell in that photo...

supercool I'm interested as to its functionality as well... but also scared of the outcome haha

Interesting....I like it!

Thats awsome! Any way you could preserve it?

do a leafcutting of that, i wonder if more will come out that way. it'd be cool, you could be rich :)

do a leafcutting of that, i wonder if more will come out that way. it'd be cool, you could be rich :)

I doubt it. It's most likely just a mistake in cell reproduction.

That is awesome! Wonder how it closes...

I doubt it. It's most likely just a mistake in cell reproduction.

Wouldn't hurt to try. I'd be the first to give my money for a cultivar like this one. Especially if it's functional.

That is really cool looking! :bigthumpup:

Awesome! Have you tested to see if it's functional?
Yes. The lobe at the top right moves across half of the gap toward the one at the bottom. The lobes at the end & bottom had no appreciable movement.

If it would reproduce true, you could call it "Threesome" or "Triumvirate" or "Trifecta" or "Three's Company"...endless possibilities!
Typically these types of mutations are produced by some form of environmental factor and not genetically-created. The real genetic mutations that I've seen or heard about produce a similar type of mutation on each trap (or flower). Examples of this are many ('fused-tooth', 'cup-trap', etc) and several newer examples are in threads started by Guillaume & Melly in the photo section of the ICPS forum.

Thats awsome! Any way you could preserve it?
You mean other than posting a pic for posterity on a few CP forums? Nope - no plans .... ???

does it have 2 trigger hairs per trap wall? hard to tell in that photo...
It was difficult to see, so I dug out my loupe and found that the top and bottom lobes each had 2 trigger hairs and the one on the end only had one (as far as I could tell).

wow of all the trap mutations so far this year I think that this one wins :-D

Back