What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do u plant this type of plants

• Thread starter Empyrean
  • Start date

Empyrean

Destiny VS Cause And Effect
well i m having trouble planting a plant that i receive recently, and the plant looks like this.. sorry i should have take pic but i planted it after i want to kno what is the proper way to do this. so i draw a drawing
untitled.jpg

how do u plant a plant like this ?

Those are a pain in the butt to plant as they always pop the rhizome out.

It takes 3 hands really :)

Gently gather the leaves in the fingers of one hand straightening them out best you can like stalks of celery. While holding the leaves like that push the rhizome into the hole you made in the medium (soil) and tamp the soil around firmly with your free hand.

Release the leaves and watch it spring out, curse because you didn't tamp it enough and start over.

You could try wrapping the leaves loosely in tinfoil or a piece of paper towel which would free up a hand.

yeah Not a Number said it all. But my method is just a bit different (I just did it about 5 hours ago with my B52 as a matter of fact). What I did is I left all of the LFS around the roots and the I dug a hole approximately the depth of the longest root but about as wide as the diameter of the plant. The I put the barerooted plant into the hole but hold it against the side of the hole and fill it in about halfway. Then I water to let the soil settle, and finish filling the hole and then i water again and fill one more time. It has worked great for me and I haven't sprung a trap doing it this way yet. :)

well i have another question then what happen if the soil only cover the roots but didn;t cover the rhizome?

I'm not sure if anything terrible would happen but everybody that I've talked to says that you want the rhizome to be underground too. They say the white part should be underground and the green part should be above ground. Hope this helps...

I suggest you cover the rhizome. It is the heart of the plant. You can never see the rhizome of a wild VFT which suggests it is supposed to be buried in the soil. I know what you mean about the floppy plant...maybe a pic of mine from 2 yrs ago will help. Even if you plant it and it looks odd...just ensure that you plant it properly.

ter25ig7.jpg

Back