What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So here is a few of my VFTs

Nothing too special. First one is quite special in my book though
B52
OutdoorCPsandB52008.jpg

OutdoorCPsandB52001.jpg

OutdoorCPsandB52002.jpg

Dentate that i just repotted into one of my minibogs
OutdoorCPsandB52004.jpg

bunch of typicals from Lowes that i rescued, recovering quite nicely.
not too much coloration yet however
OutdoorCPsandB52005.jpg

OutdoorCPsandB52006.jpg

OutdoorCPsandB52007.jpg

aaaand cant forget the 3 month old seedlings
VFTSeedlings6-3-08002.jpg

ok....just from experience....let me warn you that I had problems with VFT's in such heavy media. The concentration of peat seems really high in that B52 pot and those seedling pot. I had my adult vfts go downhill with shock traps after it compacted like that + the added crappy moss on top. I can't get rid of the moss even now...but my mix is a lot lighter with 30% peat, 50% perlite and 10% bark. This way....the media is still nice and airy even after that annoying moss colonises everything.

otherwise...everything is looking good. Give that B52 some time and great light....I had mine make like 2 inch traps.

Great pics and VFTs SirKristoff..

I gotta agree with vraev,
GP_Princess's came in with the same heavy peat, me i have a tendancy to transplanting any new VFTs that are sent to me into my own mix. They just seem to grow and thrive so much better, than what they came in. GP_Princess's B52 is gettin repotted into the mix i use as well.

Great VFTs! I guess I know another reason why my VFTs before died :/.

yeah i was planning on potting the B52 in my Minibog. it came in that media just soaked. i was thinking of letting it dry a little before i test the drainage and concentration of peat in the pot. if its too high, i will need to buy some more perlite, as im completely out lol.

and actually the seedlings are in 50/50 peat perlite, i kept a little more peat on top for the seeds.
i was going to repot the B52 this morning when i realized there is pleanty of perlite in the pot.
just about an 8th of an inch of straight peat on top. My guess is person who i bought it from, mind you whom i trust ALOT, didnt like the perlite on top that much.
and according to him, thats what they have been potted in since they got them. Ill just keep an eye on it and repot it if it looks like it needs it.

typicals in minibog
CPphotos7-5-08005.jpg

B52
CPphotos7-5-08002.jpg

CPphotos7-5-08004.jpg

better idea of size of seedlings
CPphotos7-5-08011.jpg

couple new additions
D. M. Low giant (nice large clump of em)
TriptoRons1.jpg

and an Akai Ryu
TriptoRons2.jpg

Nice. The one before the akai ryu has alot of teeth.

Very nice SirKristoff, i really like the bushy Low Giant, thats the way i like seeing VFTs all clumped together.. Nice new additions.
GP_Princess and I have some new addtions comming in this week.. Cant wait..:-D

Thanks for sharring SirKristoff...

SirKristoff, all your Flytraps are amazing. I had no idea there werre so many different kinds. What is the difference between the B-52 and your average Flytrap? Sorry, but I'm brand new at this. The babies look so healthy and they all have such nice color to them. Thanks for showing me what to shoot for!

The B52 cultivar produces bigger traps when compared to a standard VFT given the same conditions. Traps can reach 2" in size if not more.

As rice smuggler says, B52 Cultivar is known for some of the largest traps out of the Venus Flytraps. Though people have been known to grow typicals and lowgiants as well as big mouths to be as large if not larger than B52 at certain times in the year, B52 regullarly produces its large traps throughout the year. Very nice plant, deffinitly one of my favorites that i have.

here is a better pic of the Low Giant
CPphotos7-6-08002-1.jpg

I think I may order another VFT. Are there any you would suggest as a beginner? I really like the Low Giant!

Back