What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower opened!

Finally, my VFT's flower has opened! I thought it would be tiny, but it's pretty big, compared to my capensis flowers. Is there any special way to pollinate it? Like waiting a while then doing it or something? I just tried to pollinate it now, there's a bunch of pollen parts and one thing in the middle that looked different so I put the pollen on that thing.
Pics!
VFTflower002.jpg

VFTflower001.jpg

Oooh that second pic is nice!

I hvae to agree, that second photo is very nice :D. Try using two different flowers (two separate stalks) and gently rubbing them together.

Well I had two stalks, but one got all weird. It had short little thorny things on it, and the buds got some holes in them so I cut it off and used it as cutting material.

lol, i had 6/9 flowered already
2 of them are already on their way to closing... i tried to pollinate them every way i can. i tried rubbing the pollen on the stigma, i tried the paintbrush

lol, i had 6/9 flowered already
2 of them are already on their way to closing... i tried to pollinate them every way i can. i tried rubbing the pollen on the stigma, i tried the paintbrush
I have 15 flowers on one stalk.. I thought that was a high number. What's usual? How many seeds should I expect out of the 15 flowers?

- A

I also have a question. If I pollinate them right, about how long will the flowers take to make ready seeds?

I have 15 flowers on one stalk.. I thought that was a high number. What's usual? How many seeds should I expect out of the 15 flowers?

- A

that's not unusual, i'm saying i have 9 flower stalk, 6 of them are already flowering.

I also have a question. If I pollinate them right, about how long will the flowers take to make ready seeds?
It varies, but it seems like it took mine 3 to 4 weeks after the flowers were in their prime before the pods dried up and I could see the shiny black seeds.

Oh ok, well that's not too long.

Back