What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering a bit late?

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
So my pot of flytraps have already sent up flower stalks much earlier this summer, which I proceeded to cut due to them being grown indoors. Now, another one is just now sending up a flower stalk.

To the experts here... isn't it a bit late to be doing this?

mine's also flowering,i also cut it earlier.

Mine are doing the same thing. I let one from last month grow, but cut the ones from this month off in case it might make it too weak for winter. Seems kind of odd to me too.

Mine are flowering as well..I have two that have sent up stalks. Should I cut them off? Im new to the preparing for winter thing.

If you want you can cut off the flower stalks and slice them up into little 1"ish bits and use them as cuttings to grow more flytraps. I have one that's flowering now too for some odd reason and I'm gonna let the flower stalk grow a few inches and try this.

Interesting! So I cut them into bits...then do I just sprinkle them ontop the dirt or cover them with a little dirt? That would be cool! ...I could give one to my mom!

isnt it to late in the year to do cutings?

isnt it to late in the year to do cutings?

If the plants have been kept outside and had a proper dormancy period, I see no reason to cut the stalks off.

What it really comes down to is if you want seeds or you want to try propagating the plant from the flower stalk.

If you choose to cut the flower stalk, just stick it in the ground upright. I've had good success with that this year with a 100% strike rate. I tried cutting up the stalk into 1 inch pieces and laying them flat on the soil and putting a bit of soil over them. Out of about 8 pieces, only one struck.

Back