What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proud of my first VFT

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
I got my VFT a little over a month ago and have learned a lot about them and I must say, its doing VERY well I think!!

Here it is back in the middle of July:
DSC05397.jpg

Here it is now, its sent up another flower stalk! and its like a little bush:
DSC05527.jpg

The traps arent getting red though, is there something I should be doing? Or is that ok? It gets afternoon sun, about 6-7 hours right now.

Thought I would share. Thanks for looking!

Some plants will redden up quite well in the traps and some won't. Some do it more than others and turn all red. Even some that are of the same cultivar will have different coloration despite being a clone. It's weird. I've got mine under fluorescent lights and they are coloring up quite a bit more after having upgraded my lighting.

Trap color is a function of the individual plant as much as the light it receives.

Last year most of mine were a nice red all summer long. This year only two are three were a nice red. In the past couple weeks all of them except my 'Justina Davis' are turning a nice red. And I have one typical that never seems to get much red in it even though it had nice red when I bought it.

Mine only get afternoon sun too.

So don't fret about it.

Looks like if you replant it next spring you will have several plants. It definitely is putting out a lot of healthy looking new traps, which is a good sign.

As Not a Number said, don't worry too much about coloration. I've found that the traps are best colored late in the season or if they are grown in a terrarium. Sometimes they never really color up...

Nice. I remember the joy I felt when I recieved my first Venus Fly Trap (alas, it died 2 weeks later when I was away at summer camp)

It looks like it's still recovering from the shock of having no light. The flower is probably a result of it thinking winter has just given way to spring.

Persevere with it and it should eventually lose its appearance of being like a little bush and look like a VFT should do - all traps and little leaf.

Good to know! I was wondering why it was so bushy and some of the traps burn off before they really get to be big. Mybe NEXT spring it will be adjusted.

Maybe its not getting enough sun???

Back