What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to collect seed?

upper

Capensis Killer
i think its ready right now, i'm not sure though.
seed.jpg

how would i go collecting seeds? do i just cut it off and put it on a paper to get the seed out or something?

I'm pretty sure. Looks like you have lots of seeds ;)

Cut the buds off, and its best to set them on a piece of paper. Take forceps or your nails and pinch off the top of the seed pod and carefully push the seeds out with the tip of your finger nail or forceps as to not break the seeds. ive done this about 50 times now...xD

Cut the stalks off and let the pods dry for a few days. Put 'em in an envelope or cup or something so you won't lose any seeds.

Take a couples sheet of paper, fold it in half. Unfold 'em and place it on a flat surface with the point of the crease facing down. Onto one sheet shake as many seeds out that will shake loose, then gently roll the pods between thumb and forefinger to release anything that's left. Or cut off individual pods leaving some stem to make handling easier and gently roll it on the paper with slight pressure from your finger tip if that works better for you.

Very gently blow and pick away the larger bits of "chaff" (leaves, petals, anthers etc.). Pick up the paper with the seeds on it so it forms a "V" with seeds at the bottom of the "V", gently tap the seeds on the other sheet of paper. Most of the tiny bits of chaff left over will stay behind and you can gently blow away anything as it drops with the seeds. Repeat as necessary but with practice you can do usually do it in one pass.

I use the same method with Drosera seed but more care must be taken because the seeds are so tiny. How clean they depends on how lazy I am at the moment.

Do you realy have to select only the seeds without the dry flower remains? Why? I usualy smash the pods to free the seeds and spread everything on the soil surface....talking about droseras

ugh, i dont know which is ready and which isnt. there's some that just closed and one that's been closed for like 2 weeks to a month now.

btw, should i sow it now? winter's coming soon...

got 40ish seed from 4 pods
seedscopy.jpg

you can sow em now and grow them indoors for a year. then move em out next year, thats what im doing with my seedlings

indoor as in windowsill? my dad wont let me use artificial light.

I packetize my seeds for cataloging, storage and distribution (seedbanks etc.). Less foreign matter lessens the chance of mold/fungus. People also appreciate getting seeds, not bits of flowers.

i see your point

About how long did it take for your VFT to flower and produce seed?

THe only reason I ask is I have 4 shoots, one looks like its almost ready to flower...I am hoping they are done by the end of October when its time to bring them inside/refrigerate them.

Excellent picture, btw, of the seeds! and Congrats!

almost 2 months.

and yeah, i removed all the debris(sp?). i got 40ish seeds alone now as you can see from the picture i put up.

Back