What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

flower stalk cuttings

MidnightSkies

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast
My typical vft has been sending up countless flower stalks lately (just noticed another coming up yesterday), and since it's so late in the season I've been snipping them off and trying to use them for propogation. I thought I would post pictures since I haven't come across any of those here. My first attempt at this actually worked :grin:

One week ago...
plants079.jpg

And yesterday...
plants095.jpg

That one along with one other piece were planted about a month ago. The other isn't growing quite as well and is in the soil horizontally. Does anyone know about how quickly they end up growing? I should replant them once they start getting roots?

Cool. I've got a flower stalk growing on one of my VFTs for some odd reason right now. I'm going to do the same thing here as soon as I cut it and get motivated enough to break out my bale of peat moss and sift out the crap and mix some perlite for a pot.

Nice! Here's a shot of one of mine:
flower_stalk_plantlets_900.jpg

I have about 5 or 6 of them that are actually taking. I let most of my plants flower and then I tried using the flower stalks after I gathered the seeds. The stalks seem to have lost their ability to send out plantlets. I didn't get any of them to strike. Seems like the flower stalk cutting trick only works when the flower stalk is "fresh" (before flowering).

Wow, I can't wait for mine to start getting that big and have traps!

If you were asking me, mind are indoors since they're covered and we've been having pretty cold temps lately.

Great job with the project! ...and they said it couldn't be done...

Congratulations on the strike! :) Was it done inside or outside?

holy sweet flower stalk can be propagated too? lol so when should the flower stalk cut off from the main plant??? as in how many weeks? days? inch? mm? lol and where do u propagating them? outdoor? or indoor????

Wow - this never occured to me to try. I've cut bunches of stalks and just toss 'em. Well now I know what to try next season.

i hope this works better than leaf cuttings!, i suck at that.

Awww.... leaf cuttings aren't bad. I find that live LFS, under an artificial light, kept moist, works well.

Are these indoors or outside?

Congratulations on the strike! :) Was it done inside or outside?

holy sweet flower stalk can be propagated too? lol so when should the flower stalk cut off from the main plant??? as in how many weeks? days? inch? mm? lol and where do u propagating them? outdoor? or indoor????
I put most of mine in my terrarium inside. However, I did a couple outside as well, and they struck too.

It seems to me that the length of the flower stalk wasn't very relevant. However, I got the best strike rate from the top of the stalk, that is, the 1 inch nearest to the flower buds. Also, I tried using flower stalks that had flowered and successfully produced seed, but I didn't have any luck with those.

I wrote this up in the article about propagation of Venus Fly Traps on my website here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation-of-venus-fly-traps.html

i hope this works better than leaf cuttings!, i suck at that.
My success rate with leaf cuttings was about the same as it was with the top 1 inch of the flower stalk, which is about 100%.

It is quite common to propagate with flower stalks, especially with VFT clones. A grower would not want to lose his B52 after flowering and get seedlings which are not physically identical to the mother plant.

I went out and got a cutting of a stalk from my excessivly flowering VFT....I originally thought it was just one plant as it had a stalk when I got it...but it had 4 more growing yesterday when I nabbed the one stalk.

I hope it works!! :)

im gonna try this now, i have a total of 6 stalk, all have flowered and produced seed. i cut em into 3 section so i have 18 little flower stalk pieces now. i'll put 6 with rooting hormine, 6 regular just stick it in, and 6 sideway with little cuts.

ive had success both times ive tried it, and as mmlr stated, never had success with flowers that had already bloomed and produced seed.

Back