What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trimming dead traps...

• Thread starter jasonb
  • Start date
when the traps turn black does it help the plant any to trim them off or does this benefit the plant at all? Once the traps are black, can they turn back to normal color or are they done for?

It's purely for looks... Unless your using a tank or something, then the dead plant material can help grow mold. A spent trap/leaf will not grow back, so once it is black it is safe to trim them off with sharp scissors. Leave anything still green though, as it can still use light to make the plants energy.
Andrew

it doesnt really matter, but if the dead traps do kinda make the plant look bad. so id trim away all the black parts of the leaf, and leave what is green because it still aids in photosynthesis

The dead traps and leaves should be trimmed if you have little plants underneath that would benefit from the extra light exposure. I trim them as soon as they are 1/2 black.

if my plant was strong, i'd trim em even if the bottom is still greenish. i dont really think that it really needs that small amount of photosynthesis energy.

The major argument for me is the dead leaves may mold over if left moist for too long. I've tken to trimming traps when they're all black, then the petioles once they're over half black.

I pinch or trim them off. Then again I don't have dozens of pots of them!

Never pull on a dead leaf, even if it's completely dry, black, and brittle. Cut it off. I have read accounts where people pull and in doing so, uproot the entire plant because the black leaf was still strongly attached to the rhizome.

As for me, I do monthly trimmings of my plants during the growing season. During dormancy, I do it more often to avoid mold.

Back