What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting times.

So, My VFT has experienced its first 50 deg. F night and it's already slowing in growth somewhat. Although, it's still happily soaking up sun and it has the deep reds to show it :D

But, I believe I can confirm that there are 3 (3!) separate rhizomes in the pot. It's quite the deal for what I got, But it appears that there is one fully mature plant, one offshoot just slightly to the side of the main plant, and one itsy bitsy plant a little further out. I feel confident(for not having done it before) in being able to repot them(thus having three), but I Was wondering when the best time to do it would be season wise? I'd like to keep the baby through winter out of dormancy to help it catch up to the others, but it may be too late for that.

Is it the right time now? Or should I wait for a bit longer when it's almost time for it to go into dormancy? The poor mature offshoot is growing quite stuntedly due to being partially underneath the main plant and getting no light.

Last but not least I found all the substrate I'd need for generic CP's at a local gardening store, But I'm not so confident at my ability to identify milled sphagum for being what it is. I was thinking of breaking up long-fibered sphagum and mixing it with pearlite at about a 50-50 ratio, there's also 'decorative sand' that's used as a soil topper for decorative cacti there, would that be fine instead of sphagum? I was thinking it may be treated somehow or have too high a mineral content since it appears to be a fine ground mix of a lot of different mineral types, as opposed to the straight-up SiO2

Thanks!

I think you may want to wait until the end of winter or spring to do it, or wait for them to grow more. If they're tiny they may not have seperated from the main plant yet.

One of them is fairly mature. I had thought when they first go into dormancy was a good time, but I s'pose end of winter's good. What about the substrate I'd outlined?

Probably just use 50/50 peat/perlite, it's good for VFTs

meatingmoo is right. It's best to do repotting in the spring time. The rhizome is usually easier to separate in the spring time. However, it wouldn't hurt anything if you wanted to do it now.

Most people use a 50:50 mix of peat moss and perlite. I have been using pure peat moss more lately. You can use any form of sphagnum moss with clean sand or perlite or vermiculite. Be sure not to use any sand that could contain impurities.

Good luck!

Hi Botanicadenta ~

I use a peat-perlite-horticultural sand mix with some LFS thrown in. I don't use the Miracle-Gro peat because it has fertilizer in it. I rinse the perlite and horticultural sand in the sink then give it a final rinse with distilled water.

I'll transplant my VFTs in the early spring - I wouldn't do it now, especially since they're still in their fall growth. I'm in Los Angeles and it's still pretty hot here. You're in West Texas - it's probably still hot there, too, so your VFTs might still be in a late growth stage.

Best of luck whatever you decide,
Laura

I'm just north of your pacific northwest and there is still strong growth here. Leave them be to grow stronger still.

Back