What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raccoons!!

So, the war is on, raccoons have been knocking over my VFT and this morning I found it dislodged from the pot completely, as if the shinies lurk at the bottom of my pot. Very irritating.

I'm not allowed to shoot guns, and the number of raccoons up here outnumber people about 3 to 1, any ideas? Should I build a stand for them?

On a lighter note, a small frog has moved in with my flytrap. He's rather cute, and I doubt there's anything to worry about, but I do wonder if he will... 'add' a significant amount of nutrients to the soil in any significant way, or should I see how far I can toss him? XD

Sorry to hear about your raccoon problems. I had similar problems last year with squirrels. I would occasionally come outside to find some of my plants uprooted and drying up in the sun. Very irritating.

My solution was to build a cage for my VFTs to keep out animals. It works great! I just used some pieces of 2x2 wood and chicken wire.

I wouldn't worry about the frog. I seriously doubt that he can do any damage to your plants no matter how long he hangs out with them.

What ya need is a dumpster. They like to hang out in dumpsters:

IMG_0786.jpg

ayup, last time I saw a raccoon in a dumpster, it freaked the crap out of me.

Not to mention I saw my first Mojave Rattlesnake(look them up, terrifying stuff) two feet from my leg the other day. The weather's beginning to change so all of these creatures are beginning to cause trouble around here.

A live trap will work. I use all sorts of methods... hehe

Back