What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well today i went to the washington d.c national arboretum, which is a huge plant collection garden, tree orchid, vaggie, etc. i run in to some filiformis sundew i couldn't unidenified what type of filiformis it is, most of them went into dormency period, but there was dry up flower stalk and seed to collect so i can't help it but collect as many as i can, and also Sarracenia same goes with the seed collecting. not many for the Sarracenia course i don't have any bag or container to carry the seed, and ya my granny pulled a venus fly trap out of the media, i told her to put it back, but u kno the old folks, and ya so she carry it in her bag with no media, no water for 6 to 7 hours, the plant is like limpy and stuff, and some leafs peeled off from the rhizome, and ya i have successfully propagating leafcutting outdoor but i just want to kno if its possible to propagate them in winter or at least make it throught winter?

Sure, you can propagate them any time of the year as long as you get a good pulling. I took some pullings from plants that had wintered at Home Depot. I think they had been in the store since the previous August and I bought them in March. I shredded them and put them in my terrarium. They start sprouting new plants and I put them outside when summer came. I think I have 30 or so plants now from the original 2 that I purchased.

wow..stealing from the the national arboretum..
very uncool..
you pretty much suck..

they might have given you a few seed pods if you asked..
but stealing them is just wrong..
and stealing the VFT is particularly low..
not to mention illegal.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Information/ruleguide.html

Scot

oh lol.. didn;t kno that collecting seeds is forbidden.. anyway

theif.jpg

But you didn't know that uprooting their VFT isn't either? C'mon.

i didn't pull the vft off the media, i have no intense to pull a vft or any plant there, and y the hell i want a vft for i got tons of them on my back yard, my granny see that i have so many vft on my back yard and she just pull one out thought i wanted it i told her to put it back she won;t listen, what u want me to do? tell them to arrest my granny?

By collecting all that seed you've stolen one plant for every seed you took...

what u want me to do?

How about show a little respect for others? You were in a public garden designed for the education and enjoyment of others, so c’mon don’t be a selfish jerk and start sniping off a little of this, pulling up this or that plant, or pocketing as many seeds as you can of this-that-or-the-other plant that you don’t have in your collection *yet*. If everyone had the same attitude towards "sampling" the displays as you there would be nothing left for anyone else to see on display and there would no longer be public access to great collections because anyone with awesome plants would be afraid some "guest" would just lop off the top of their favorite nep or uproot an awesome orchid and stuff it in their bag on their way out.

Anybody come into my garden or residence and just start traipsing around and taking whatever they would like would royally piss me off and be looking to get their *** thrown out not another question asked, not to mention you were doing this in the national arboretum

I am confused why you would post something like this…most people on this forum want to promote carnivorous plants and their conservation by having them in public attention and obviously will quickly jump on you for this post so I dunno if you were trying to brag or just get attention but yeah…not a cool thing to be doing. Some brains…please.

It is kinda of a no brainer that taking seeds from plants on public display is a no-no, illegal move. Hell, just about any backwoods nature trail has a sign saying something along the lines of don’t take plants, flowers, or seeds and to leave them for others to enjoy too…so I am pretty sure the national arboretum would be pretty strict about what is considered legal.

I'm pretty shocked by this thread... I didn't even dare TOUCH the CPs at the CP show I went to, except the ones I was considering buying. My hands were behind my back when I was looking at other people's plants, to resist the temptation to so much as touch the pitcher on a Nep. I'm 15 years old and I have more morals than you. What a shock.

I agree. What you and your "granny" did was wrong. It hurts even more to hear that not only did you simply steal, but you stole from a place that is meant to educate the public about organisms that are threatened by people.

Back