What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dormancy watering?

as my outdoor VFT gets ready for its first winter dormancy, im wondering how i should handle watering schedule. i think i will keep it in the storage room in the carport (protect it from possibly freezing solid?). i assume it wont need the full tray of water, but how much water will it need exactly? remove the tray all together and just moisten it every so often?

it should just be fine outdoors all year, you shouldnt need to water as the cold air helps prevent the water from evaporating out of the soil....

VFT's come from North Carolina, so leaving it outside where you are should be sufficient for getting it through the winter. (What Kris said!)

I third the motion!

Wolfbane,
you are SO lucky to live where you do!
you have an ideal climate for growing VFTs and Sarracenia..

just keep your plants outside 24/7/365 and you are golden..
dont worry about any freezes..in Georgia freezes are so mild and so short its not a problem at all..VFT's get those kind of mild freezes in the wild..

Scot

VFTS are native to North Carolina. They can live outside in Georgia all their lives.

Still not sure about watering through dormancy myself... mine will be in the garage. should I just water it if the soil gets dry?

For watering, I just keep the soil moist not wet. You can let the surface dry out so long as the root area doesn't. This is mostly to keep algae and molds from causing problems while your plant's dormant.

-nods- makes sense

Back