What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lots of photos from this year

• Thread starter mmlr38
  • Start date
I thought I would post here to share some of my photos that I uploaded to my website. I took a few photos this year and made a blog of them:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-blog/blogger/Matt/

My most recent post is here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-blog/The-last-hurrah-.html
The first photo there is the 1955 clone that Robert Ziemer (BobZ on this forum) sent me.

And here's a survey of a bunch of insects found in my VFT's traps:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/carnivorous-plant-blog/Deadly-Catches.html

Thanks for looking!
Matt

...I wish I was as good with them as you LOL

how long did it take for the seeds to germinate? Mine are taking forever and I'm getting worried. Is the extra humidity needed? or will they do ok without being semi-covered?

how long did it take for the seeds to germinate? Mine are taking forever and I'm getting worried. Is the extra humidity needed? or will they do ok without being semi-covered?
They seem to germinate much faster with extra humidity. I sowed those seeds in the middle of August, probably sometime around August 18th or so. The ones in the photos I left outside all the time and kept the soil very wet. They germinated sometime around the middle of September. At the same time I planted those outside, I planted some in my terrarium where the humidity is higher and the temperatures are more stable. They took about the same amount of time to germinate (they might have been a week faster in the terrarium), but they are growing much faster.

I love browsing your photo galleries! I really want my Royal Reds to looks that beautiful.

Very nice pictures Most bugs my traps eat are flys, and wasps every so often I'd find a earwig, and one time a butterfly it was dead when I saw it so I couldn't help it..

Good pictures there I'll be sure to check out your blog more often and very cute VFT seedlings mine are so tiny. =)

i see a sundew in your VFT pot.

Love your colors. My 'Big Mouth' colors up easily, but all my other VFT's didn't get much color this year, despite 10+ hours of sun in the summer. Maybe next year.

Mine catch only hornets. That's all I ever see in them! Must be nest nearby or something.

Very nice pictures Most bugs my traps eat are flys, and wasps every so often I'd find a earwig, and one time a butterfly it was dead when I saw it so I couldn't help it..

Good pictures there I'll be sure to check out your blog more often and very cute VFT seedlings mine are so tiny. =)
Thanks a lot! I hope that you check out the blog and also post on the forum. If you join the forum you get an account on the main site too, and you can blog about your plants as well. There are a few active members there now, and is growing every day.

i see a sundew in your VFT pot.
Hah, yeah, I had an accident with some D. intermedia seed. I dumped over the little pot I had it in. Then I picked up the soil and stuff and I guess I got some seed on my hands and then touched my VFTs because I got about 15 D. intermedia growing in with my VFTs.

Love your colors. My 'Big Mouth' colors up easily, but all my other VFT's didn't get much color this year, despite 10+ hours of sun in the summer. Maybe next year.

Mine catch only hornets. That's all I ever see in them! Must be nest nearby or something.
I too have a 'Big Mouth' that got good coloration this year, but many of my typicals had better colors and bigger traps.

That's cool that your plants are hornet killers. I love seeing wasps (or are those hornets) in the traps when they reopen after digesting. Makes me wonder how many they would catch if all of my plants had traps large enough to catch them. There are only a few plants that have traps large enough to catch a 1.5 inch wasp!

Great pics. Gotta give a shout out to a fellow Coloradoan! I've noticed the same trend in prey capture with my VFTs throught the summer: a progression from earwigs to craneflies to small wasps to lastly blue flies and grey striped flies. Most of my Sarrs filled up on migrating Miller Moths in the past few weeks. Thanks again for posting the great pics.

We always have bad wasp problems mid-summer till fall. My plan is to get a carpet of VFTs growing to take care of a good number of them. A lot of times, they are scouting for nesting sites. I'm tempted to make a back drop from some cardboard with a hole in it so they come in to investigate and in the process get to "visit" the plants around it.

BTW, I've partially covered the seeds with plastic wrap. I left a bit of a gap on one side so there is some air circulation. Maybe that'll get the seeds to start....

Great pics. Gotta give a shout out to a fellow Coloradoan!
Thanks! Where in Colorado are you, spdskr? I too have noticed the feasting on Miller moths by my sarrs recently!

BTW, I've partially covered the seeds with plastic wrap. I left a bit of a gap on one side so there is some air circulation. Maybe that'll get the seeds to start....
That sounds like it should help. Just be careful of mold or fungus. Keep an eye out for it so that it doesn't get a foothold in there.

Back