What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bluebird

Rub my belly!
I haven't had too many pests this year with my plants usually just baby spiders making webs over my picter plant opening one time catching any flys that try to go in, but it seems recently there's these tiny bugs not sure what they are they seem to only go on my dente flytrap haven't notice any on my typicals or akai ryu trap also they'd come onto me too and bite me. ouch.. :-(

Here's some pics of it on my cup trap I heard people use orthene or something like that I was wondering what would be the best brand or type to use on my flytraps this is my first year getting serious with flytraps and having a bog garden so I never had to deal with treating pests..

Thanks for the help and IDing this pesty pest..

If they bit you it's probably an assassin bug (Family Reduviidae) of some sort. These are beneficial as they eat other insects like leaf hoppers, caterpillars, aphids etc. Adults get to .5-1.5 inches.

If they are feeding on your plants then it may be of Family Miridae - Plant Bugs. Orthene should take care of those.

Ok thanks I'll take a look at the bugs again if they're just crawling looking for bugs to eat fine, but if I think they're sucking on the plants too I'll pick up some Orthene also I've seen Orthene in the store before, but is there different ones or there just one type of orthene spray also do I need to dilute it or is it ok with flytraps and sarracenias?

You can buy it ready to use or as a concentrate. The ready-to-use comes in a spray bottle. Look for the dark green bottles. Acephate should be the main active ingredients and there should be no oils or soap.

Back