What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cooked seeds

I think I baked the seeds.. nothing is germinating after a month. The light was too close to the media. After getting higher humidity by putting plastic wrap over top of the container, that really did them in...

What are the odds of seeds surviving 50 degree (celcius) temperature? How long should I wait to see if any survived?

And if anyone would care to share some typical VFT seeds, I would reciprocate next season!

Adam

if its at 122F, i'm guessing that its gone. maybe not though.

That's pretty hot! I doubt any of them would make it through that. What kind of lights were you using?

Did you stratify them?

-Ben

No, they were out of the pods no longer than 3 weeks before I planted them. This was at room temperature. Would that make a difference?

Hrrm yea lol there's your problem.

They sorta need to be stratified; cool and wet for several weeks.

Actually, scratch that. Honestly, I have no idea if they need that. I searched through the forum and some people say they get results without any stratification. So I have no idea.

The heat very well could have been the death of the seeds.

-Ben

Hrrm yea lol there's your problem.

They sorta need to be stratified; cool and wet for several weeks.

Actually, scratch that.
Yeah, scratch that. Dionaea seeds do NOT need to be stratified. I planted my seeds right out of the pods and got basically 100% germination.

That 130Watt bulb must put out a ton of heat. Maybe try a 40W next time. I use 40W bulbs and I put a layer of 1/2 inch glass between the bulbs and the seeds. The seeds are about 4 inches below the glass. The temperature usually stays in the mid to low 70s that way. It seems to be perfect for germination.

Now I wish I hadn't planted all of my seed so I could send you some more.

Thanks! Big lesson for next year I guess...

Back