What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Sprouts-Dormancy Neccesary?

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Hey guys,

I recently got some VFT seed and tried sprouting them in my terrarium. Well good new is that they are sprouting with great success. But winter time is coming soon, and I had an uneasy feeling about putting these guys in the fridge (which I plan to do with my other VFT's). Since they've barely started growing, would it be ok to skip their first dormancy as you might with sarracenia? Thanks.

-Max

You can skip the first dormancy for seedlings they'll do fine as long as you give them good light I have some seedlings that sprouted in augest or around that and they'll be skipping dormancy intill they're bigger so far they're growing good once winter comes I'll give them arificial lighting.

Yes, you can skip dormancy for seedlings the first year. I too have quite a few seedlings that will be skipping dormancy. Some of them I germinated in March, many of them in late July.

I'm having germinations now and I'll be keeping them at a window sill for the next half year.

In the wild the seeds will fall to the ground in May and June and germinate soon after. They don't need a cold stratification and can happily miss their first dormancy.

Alright cool, thanks guys. I look foward to some cool baby VFTs. Also do mature VFTs go dormant at a certain time of year (like do they have and internal calendar?) or just whenever it gets cold?

do mature VFTs go dormant at a certain time of year (like do they have and internal calendar?) or just whenever it gets cold?
It's just like when deciduous trees lose their leaves in the fall. Some years it happens earlier or later than others, but it is mostly dependent on the shortening length of the days and the cooler temperatures.

Back