What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT emergency!

Due to a communication and labeling error, I have just heavily fertilized my VFT with an unknown fertilizer/water mix. I rinsed it out as thouroughly with about a half gal of water and have little to nothing to repot it with.

Should I uproot it and stick it in the fridge for immediate dormancy? It's already growing short petioles and ready to sleep. Should I get som e of the ground LFS from my nep seed trays and try repotting it? Or just wait and hope for the best? Thanks in advance...:-(

See the last line in Barry Rice's FAQ entry.

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2340.html

Were you planning on put it in the refrigerator for dormancy in the first place? If not, a good water flush should be all that's needed.

If you need potting mix in a hurry and can't find any peat moss locally, order some from Andrew.

Excellent! I'll flush it for the next few days then, thanks a lot :phew:

Is it bareroot now? I don't entirely understand your situation. If it is, you can probably get away with just keeping it in water for a while, in your area. Just keep the sun off the roots so they don't get too stressed. If you've got LFS available, you could wrap the base of the plant in it until you have a chance to pot it up again. If it's still in a pot, I think NAN is right that you should be able to get away with just flushing it with clean water. Make sure to empty the tray - and I would flush it once every other day or so, at least three or four times over the course of the next week.
I've occasionally used tap water/fertilized water by accident, and I don't think I've ever lost a plant to it. I think that stuff only really becomes a problem when you do it over and over again and the minerals have a chance to build up in the soil.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back