What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Project - VFT

Hello All

I am new to this forum, so it would be nice to have some options...

I have a VFT my uncle tried to keep one when I was very young but it did not live very long...

Now I understand that about the watering from the bottom however if they get too wet on the top will they die ? there is a valid reason why I ask this as I would like to keep a VFT in a terrarium, as you see them shipped with a plastic cover.

So here is the plan

Glass container below

EggJar.jpg

The top will be support with a 3mm gap around the top for air flow

The bottom will have a small pebble like stones to show the water level

On top will be the peat based mixture.

But I am unsure as to the watering if it has to be watered on the bottom only then I was going to supply a glass tube feed direct to the bottom. to avoid watering from the top, but then will it die if it gets to wet, if the glass drips this is my thought.

Only other problem would be that it could not be put outside due to the ice expanding and breaking the glass...

So can I have some thoughts on this idea please

Many thanks Noddy

First, it would help to know where you are from. What I recommend (and so would everyone else) is that you use 50/50 peat and perlite, no fertilizer. Grow outside in full sun, no...egg thingy or anything, just in a regular, plastic pot with drainage holes. Keep a tray under it and fill it with distilled/rain/or OR water. Do NOT use regular tap water and such. Give it dormancy in winter (Make sure it doesn't freeze, just light frost here and there). And that's that. You can water overhead if you want, doesn't matter, mine are soaking wet, heck, my little one gets SUBMERGED in water, and it's fine. Good luck with it! :)

Anyone, please correct me.

HEy Noddy,
welcome to the forum!

yes, Capensis has it right..
the "egg" is a bad idea..lose the egg.

VFTs do best:

outdoors.
in full sun.
sitting merely in a tray of rain, distilled or RO water.
no cover.
need a mild winter dormancy.."mild" meaning 35-50 degrees F for three months every winter.

VFTs do very poorly indoors..they should not be considered "houseplants"..
they are not tropical.

Where do you live?
your local climate will have a huge bearing on the methods you can use to grow CPs..especially in the winter.

Scot

HEy Noddy,
welcome to the forum!

yes, Capensis has it right..
the "egg" is a bad idea..lose the egg.

VFTs do best:

outdoors.
in full sun.
sitting merely in a tray of rain, distilled or RO water.
no cover.
need a mild winter dormancy.."mild" meaning 35-50 degrees F for three months every winter.

VFTs do very poorly indoors..they should not be considered "houseplants"..
they are not tropical.

Where do you live?
your local climate will have a huge bearing on the methods you can use to grow CPs..especially in the winter.

Scot

I also agree, with them, i can help a little with overwintering if necessary, as ive overwintered them here in zone 6(NY),

Keep it in the peat:perlite mix, always moist, water level does not exceed 1/2-3/4 of the pot, say half to be on the safe side, ive never had it that way, but if you dont get rain that often you might want it that high. Full sun to get best results

depending on your source of the plant i might suggest skipping dormancy for the first year, doesn't mean skip it every year but the plant might not be healthy enough if you got it from a source where the plants werent properly grown. I also lost any seedling vfts in dormancy most likely due to the covering of mulch, and the squirrels..., but hopefully this year i can skip the mulch as i have a greenhouse that should be able to keep temps just above freezing. So plants from wall-mart lowes homedepot, etc, you might want to skip dormancy if the plant doesn't seem to be healthy enough to survive a winter. the bulb should be cream-white in color and right now should be slowing down or has completely stoped growing new leaves, if you live in colder climates, im not that sure on the health of the plants at those stores sometimes there good sometimes bad, i think next year if i have the money ill buy them up and bring them back up to health, sadly the so called 'death cubes' ive seen dead sundews/vfts/pitcherplants still up for sale at original price possibly marked down, in the houseplant section, in the middle of winter, or they are almost dead...

so i can help if you need some advice on overwintering, or indoor care, by my estimated guess as ive only grown tropicals indoors.

dustin

outside in full sun for the whole year(unless your winter is super cold) water from top or bottom, it doesnt matter, NO fertilizer. no need for the little egg thing, the VFT could be started in the egg thing, but it wont live long in it.

Hi all...

I am from the UK, in the south east in a little town call Caterham where the Sports Car Caterham 7 comes from...

I was on the understanding that I could grow the tropical (lead to believed tropical plant in doors) I though that would be fine I am supprised that many people keep them outside.

The Egg idea was to create an exotic plant indoors that's pleasing to the eye...

As my thoughts was well if they will live in warm and cold climates, then the only thing that could cause a problem would be air flow.

Is there another type I could keep that's small, problem I have is I don't own a garden so though at the moment it could go in a green house for now, uncles plant is not so healthy as mine, and his is on the window ledge as is mine, whould it help if you had a photo of the plants to determine there strength!

Many thanks Wayne

They aren't tropical ;) Plus, it would just be better to find a spot outside (if you have a backyard or porch and such) instead of a greenhouse. Yes, there are many different varieties, but not species, so they all live the same and there really isn't one that's "smaller." If you don't have anywhere to put it outside, then Idk...

So apart from VFT is there any other CP that you would advise I can bottle up ;-)

Many thanks Noddy

Most People wouldn't advise bottling up any CP permanently. Airflow is important and cuts down on fungal growth. Around these parts, we refer to those square mini terrariums you mentioned as "death cubes." Some might call yours a "death... ellipsoid."

All things considered, you could probably get away with growing a drosera capensis or other tropical dew in there if you really wanted to, but it is not necessary at all. Personally, I like being able to stick my nose right up into the plants and would only consider a full size terrarium if I really needed to alter my growing climate.

HI I have a drosera capensis and I've think it's on it's way out ... ;-( I left the window open in error and it was a cold night I think it's zapped it ...

It still has some green leaves how ever the VFT and another plant Nepenthes Alata is doing well...

I do like the idea of a bog garden though that lives outside... Just would be nice if I was able to do that...

Rather new to these plants, I have been more involved in aquatic plants..

Many thanks Wayne

HI I have a drosera capensis and I've think it's on it's way out ... ;-( I left the window open in error and it was a cold night I think it's zapped it ...

Many thanks Wayne

Wayne,
I dont think an open window, if the plant was inside the window, would be enough to "zap" a capensis..

IMO, the only thing that will really kill a capensis is if it's left outside in an actual frost, or the air temp actually falls below freezing..

unless the air around your capensis actually hit 30 degrees F (negative 1 or 2 C)
or lower, which is unlikely, its probably fine..

My capensis was accidently left out in 35 degree weather (+2C) this fall before I brought it inside..its fine..

A frost would have fried it..but 35 degrees (for one night only, a very short time at that low temp) didnt harm it.

Scot

Hi all

I thought I would show the current state of my VFT now it seems to be growing rather well, so is it wise to shut it down now or do this next year?

MyFlyTrap.jpg

The next photo is my uncles plant which was reduced and half dead in the shop... but he bought if for a challenge

UnclesFlyTrap.jpg

It would be nice to know your views

Many thanks Noddy

since you live in South East England,
your best-bet is to simply grow your VFTs outdoors 24/7/365..
your climate is perfect for it..its not too cold.

I would put the plants outdoors right now, if they arent already,
somewhere that gets as much direct sun as possible..
then just keep the water trays filled..and you are golden.

the plants probably wont do anything much until spring..
they might not grow much at all the next few months..which is a GOOD thing! ;)

then, in February-March, they should come out of dormancy and start growing great..

you are lucky..you have a climate that is good for VFTs and Sarrs outdoors year-round..
many of us are very jealous of that! ;)

Scot

Yes but I am 650 feet above sea level on one of the highest points in the south east...

We get the snow where others don't like yesterday

That's the problem

Uncle has problems with some bonsi's he keeps, it's a shame he is not on here not a techi but has 182 bonsi...

Last time I counted :)

Many thanks Wayne

Yes but I am 650 feet above sea level on one of the highest points in the south east...

We get the snow where others don't like yesterday

That's the problem

Uncle has problems with some bonsi's he keeps, it's a shame he is not on here not a techi but has 182 bonsi...

Last time I counted :)

Many thanks Wayne

hmmm..well thats not really very high.
but I guess you know your climate better than I do! ;)

but let me ask you..
how often do you get snow in a typical winter?
is it common? every week?
or a "once in awhile" occurance?
are there some years you dont get any snow at all?
Is rain more common than snow in the winter?

I ask these questions because, even with some snow, your climate might STILL be fine for keeping your plants outdoors!

VFTs sometimes get snow in the wild, in South Carolina.. its rare, but it happens.

I have found since being on these forums that people have very different ideas of what "cold" means! ;)

People in Florida think 40 degrees F (+5C) in February is an Artic deep-freeze..

While that exact same 40 degrees F (+5C) in NY in February is a balmy spring heat wave! ;) people go out in shorts and t-shirts if it hits 40 in February!

Our plants dont care about how different people perceve cold or warmth..
If its generally above 35 or 40 degrees (2C to 4C) , on average, most of the winter, your plants will be fine outdoors..

Scot

I have now put mine out to chill....

So we will see how it handles it

Wayne

Back