What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's the Typicals?

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
As I've noted before 'B52' show their best trap growth in the late summer and fall. Two of the red numbered plants are typicals, the rest of the red numbers are 'B52'. Can you spot the typicals?
vfttrayx.jpg

For the curious the blue numbered plants are

1. 'Akai Ryu'
2. 'Sawtooth'
3. 'Jaws'
4. "Fused Tooth"
5. 'Red Piranha'
6. 'Dentate Trap'
7. 'Cupped Trap'
8. 99 cent Store typical
9. "Crested Petiole"
10. "Fang"

Fun! My guess is 1 and 5. Maybe 4. The teeth don't look like B52.
~Joe

Hmmm...that's tough. Looks like 3 and 4 had a rough year, but they also don't appear to be growing as densely and don't have the same looking cilia as I've seen on 'B52', so I'm going with 3 and 4...

well, considering 3 and 4 would support your research, 3 and 4 :p

i'm almost sure its 2 and 4
btw is #8 sphagnum topped?

How should I know? 3 & 4?

Well plants 3 and 4 have died back alot more then the rest of the red numbered plants, and since you said the B52 tends to be in its most robust stage during this time of the year, plants 3 and 4 would be inconsistent with that fact.

I agree with everyone else 3 & 4. Jens B52 had a wierd yr this growing season since she got it. All our good growers with awsome color acted stupid end of summer and durring most the fall while on the other hand all the non good growers acting like they was top of the class.. :-D
Sun postion, climate changes, wierd weather, this world going to crap, has had major effects on everything including the VFTs and other plants.. Some people dont see it, BUT I DO..

3, 4
Nice collection!

Well plants 3 and 4 have died back alot more then the rest of the red numbered plants, and since you said the B52 tends to be in its most robust stage during this time of the year, plants 3 and 4 would be inconsistent with that fact.

That's what he wants you to think! :O

Yep, 3 & 4 are the typicals

Age-wise I've had them exactly two years - Home Depot warehouse wonders. They were flowering when I bought them so they must have been 6 months to 1 year out of tissue culture at that time. 1 & 6 will be two years out (out of tissue culture) at the end of Dec. 2 & 5 will be exactly two years out of tissue culture in Feb and April of 2009 respectively. The 'Akai Ryu' is 4 or 5 years old.

i'm almost sure its 2 and 4
btw is #8 sphagnum topped?
blue 8 & 9 are planted in full pots of live Sphagnum.

Excellent, Warren. Your flytrap collection is very nice! I especially like red 1 and red 6.

Nonsense! Everybody is a winner!

Here they were on July 7. This was before I repotted the 'Akai Ryu' and acquired the 'Fused Tooth' and 'Red Piranha'. Compare them to the earlier photo to see what I mean about the trap growth pattern. That's a 'Justina Davis' next to the 'Cupped Trap':

P7010129.jpg

vfttrayx.jpg

P7010131.jpg

Typical #4 (above)

P7010132.jpg

'B52' #6 (above) grrr aphids!

P7010130.jpg

'Cupped Trap'

Back