What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light at the end of the tunnel

I posted about a month ago about baking the seeds that I got from a flowering typical VFT. The light was too close to the media and got the temp up to 50 degrees celcius. Well, after over 2 months, one of the 60 seeds is showing signs of life! It is growing out a little green thing!

Also, after no luck all year doing pullings, one has struck! I think the really intense light and the watery conditions are what helped. Maybe about 3 weeks ago it was the plastic wrap I put over the top of the container. Who knows...

I'm tempted to do a couple more pullings now from the half dormant plants I have outside...

Patience is a virtue.. you need lots of it with VFTs.

Adam

Hey Adam,

That is good news. Glad you were rewarded for your efforts (if even only a little bit). I don't know a lot about vfts, but I believe that many growers do leaf pullings from Dionaea before or after dormancy. Patience is definately a virtue in this hobby. Just think how good it will feel in several years when that seed you sprouted is a full grown mature plant, making flowers and seed of its own.

xvart.

I've had good success with floating VFT pullings in water like some growers do for drosera. The toughest part is acclimating them back to soil.

Congrats! I'm surprised to hear that one of the seeds is germinating after that intense heat. Good job on the pulling too!

CONGRATS on your germination and leaf pulling striking. You'd be suprised what some of these CPs seeds go thru and they still germinate, i had some ping seeds that were OLD by a few yrs and they still germinated and then even with some dew seeds that sat around for few yrs i got them to sprout.

If one made it, I'm guessing a few more are also going to sprout. I'll have something to watch this winter.

I also up-rooted an off-shoot and put it in the same container indoors with the seeds and pullings. It should grow quite quickly under the awesome new lamp.

Back