What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

still growing

Seems the mild fall in the north west is keeping my outside VFTs growing. It's middle of Nov. Should the leaves be tiny and no new growth by now? They're even catching insects...

Seems the mild fall in the north west is keeping my outside VFTs growing. It's middle of Nov. Should the leaves be tiny and no new growth by now? They're even catching insects...

They'll eventually go dormant as temperatures fall sufficiently and the days shorten further. Mine too are still producing leaves and catching everything in sight here in California . . .

your just north of me. and most of my VFTs are dormant. a few are putting out their last few traps

Most of my VFTs have pretty much shut down, but the ones in larger pots are still active. In particular, I have two pots full of cuttings and root bits left over from a big division project earlier this year, and they're going bonkers. I think they're making larger leaves now than they did during the Summer. Probably just a result of the weird weather lately.
I wouldn't worry about it, anyways. My VFTs only make diminished leaves during Winter itself - things look fairly normal for this time of year. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that some of your plants are still trapping insects (a few of mine are too.) It seems too cold for that, to me, but who knows? I doubt they're going to somehow 'miss' their dormancy or anything like that as a result.
~Joe

Heh, most of mine are still growing well. Only about, three or four are going dormant. My Dana's Delight decided to explode in growth and divide, and my flava rubricorpra divided three or four other plants x_x.

I have had my mini-bogs in the garage under a south facing window for a couple of weeks now, but the S. leucos and flytraps still look fine (the sundews have long been dormant). Decided to sit the planters outdoors today as temps were in the 60s. I watched as both the leucos and VFTs caught large fall flies :banana2:. I guess they're not quite ready for winter.

your just north of me. and most of my VFTs are dormant. a few are putting out their last few traps
Mine are on a very sunny south facing deck. Maybe that's the difference?

I also "amputated" an off-shoot so I could grow something indoors over the winter time.

dont worry, it wont completely stop. mine's still making traps. but not so high up now.

Mine are all sleeeeeeeeeeeeeping, nice and comfy in the fridge.. We are having a deep freez right now outside with lake effect snow so im glad there already dorment.

the deck has nothing to do with it adymi, my plants are on a very sunny east facing deck, and get full sun for as long as the sun is out.

My VFT is still growing, but not nearly as fast, and the leaves are lying across the ground now and are short/stubby.

Yours is about to go dormant. So is mine, it's starting to make starts with short petioles and hugging the ground. I dig the short petioles xD

Back