What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure white Venus Fly Traps

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Has anyone seen these before? I was googling carnivorous plant pics on the internet when I found this:

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.net/CP_Photos/cp_photos.htm
dionaea_muscipula_white_form_Copyright_J_Flisek_01.jpg

Wow, that is pretty close to white.

Woooahhhhhh niceeee.! :] looks hawt. think they'll sell it? :]

Maybe

Lots of light on traps = red traps

Not much light/no light on traps = white?

maybe some traps where coved to get the white

that had to be covered on one side or diseased.
A pure white plant would be lacking chlorophyll and wouldn't survive.

"A pure white plant would be lacking chlorophyll and wouldn't survive."

The whole plant is not covered, just a few traps. Therefore I don't think the plant would die as it is still getting sunlight from the other traps.

The word you're looking for is 'etiolated'

Walking dictionary out.

"A pure white plant would be lacking chlorophyll and wouldn't survive."

The whole plant is not covered, just a few traps. Therefore I don't think the plant would die as it is still getting sunlight from the other traps.

It looks to me as if the old leaves are green and the newer leaves are deficient in chlorophyll. Either the leaves get green with age or as the plant gets older it produces less chlorophyll. If it is the latter I wouldn't expect this plant to have good chances of survival.

The word you're looking for is 'etiolated'

Walking dictionary out.

This could not be the case, for the leaves are not disfigured; etiolated leaves stretch for the light. These are at the ground, like the other, normal leaves.

-Ben

I have a friend who has this clone. He tried TCing it...but it always reverts back to normal. Its not a stable color.

That's pretty neat. So, maybe it's just that it requires high light to get the white color? This reminds me of N. ventricosa [Blanco].

I have seen this happen to an african violet I grew, but it was a weak plant. This vft looks pretty robust though.

Very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Isn't this one of those cultivars? I read somewhere that they sold them once upon a time. I also read that it changes back to a normal VFT just like the other cultivars pom pom and wacky traps.

Very interesting plant! Suggest to the owner use of non-TC methods to reproduce the plant to see if the clones behave in similar fashion. This is a well grown plant.

Looks like variegation. I am fairly certain that is a variegated specimen. The white will not survive independently from the green part (the green part is supporting it), because it contains no chlorophyll and thus cannot make its own food. Even CP's need to photosynthesize. Many types of variegation are indeed unstable.

I was just going to say that it was variegated! You beat me to it!

That definitely looks like a vft variegate to me! Very nice I might add, it'll be very difficult to propagate... It would need to be propagated by leaf cutting. However if an all white leaf is chosses that baby will come out all white (albino) and will not survive. If an all green leaf is taken it will produce green plantlets. The trick is waiting for a half green half white leaf and hope the plantlets form where the white and green meet on the petiole! In other words, good luck ;) It can be done but takes time!

I for one would LOVE this cultivar, so if anyone has it PLEASE let me know!

Warmest Regards and Happy Growing,
-Jc
Miami, Florida

strange enough as it seems, this has occured once with a rose bush at my grandparents house in Whitefish Montana hahaha. we were tearing down an old wall outside to rebuild it, and inside, conceiled in the wood, even blooming... was an all white rose bush, it was very strange, growing and everything...but the moment we moved it outside, moved it from shade to full sun over a month or so period, the plant died...albino plants pwn.

You can't put ghost plants in sunlight! You will kill them again! :p

Back