What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is it possible?

A couple of months ago i got my first cp's two vft's, one small pitcher hybrid is says and a nep alata. they r all in the pots they came in. hopefully my pics shows some moss i collect growing in rainwater tray in back garden iam hoping it lfs moss. i want to use the green stuff as my top dressing.
can i use the green stuff in the rest of the pot or do i have to dry and kill some and just have to top part green i was gogin to add some perlite as well to mix. i cant find moss peat where i live. final question can i pot my two vtf's and pitcher in a meduim size pot together

pics

pic of my babies gogint thru they first winter. 2nd of my moss if it needs to be dead and dry wots the easiest way to do it?
smucka

2ndhttp://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/smucka/?action=view&current=P1230198.jpg

I see no pics in your thread but as a general response:

If its a very airy moss you can use it. You just want to avoid carpet type mosses that form REALLY thick and dense growth.

Im sure you can find peat moss where you live, look at all the general stores and any planting stores or even find a friend close to you and have them recommend some peat moss locations.

You could plant them all together but I would not recommend it. The neph will get big enough it will cover the vfts. As a temperary solution you can (a month or so) but you should have the vft together (minimum, I would say a pot for each (4 inch pot) ) but that neph needs to be in its own pot because it will get big and hurt the growth of the vft in the long term.

Try getting a very large pot, something along the lines of 20 inches across. With that much space you can plant them together for a few years. Be sure that none of your potting ingredients contain fertalizer of any kind. Sarrs and venus flytraps go dormant in the winter. You need to keep them cold, below 50 F is fine. Make sure that they do not drop below freezing for a extended period of time.

That doesn't look like Sphagnum to me - I would avoid using it.
~Joe

I would do something like this:
IMG_0789.jpg

so cud i pot my vft and pitcher in green s/p moss in the same large container iam guessing with no drainage holes and lots of moss?

It would be best if you went online to get some peat just to be safe. The moss could possibly harm your plants.

My buckets have drainage holes. I was instructed to take that approach. Is s/p moss Spanish moss? I read that this moss is toxic to CP's. You should be able to buy sphagnum peat and long obered sphagnum at Lowes or Home Depot.

dont buy the "miracle gro" spaghum peat moss, and perlite. Look for another brand, 'miracle gro' contains plant food, which is also known as, fertilizer. also a good spaghum moss would me, "mosser Lee" Spaghum moss, its pretty good. :)

Back