What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

re-potting

i have just got some lfs and prelite and small amount of peat based compost. to repot my 2 vft's and a nep i know nep is tropical so techinicaly grows all year round so can i repot it now also can i repot my vft's now or should i wait.yes my vft's r in dormancy i think.

You can repot. Generally speaking, for many plants, you can repot at any time, so long as you don't disturb the roots. That usually means scooping out either the entire media or at least enough around the plant. You really don't wanna mess with Pygmy sundews or B. liniflora or Drosphyllum, though.

I would be leery of using the "peat based compost". If it doesn't say something to the effect of "Pure sphagnum peat moss" I wouldn't use it. Make sure everything is fertilizer free.

its a small amount of ERICACEOUS COMPOST and i got lfs and perlite should i chop up the lfs and mix it with the compost and prelite?

http://www.johninnes.info/ericaceous.htm

* Higher in Nutrients - plants suffer less in J.I. Compost if feeding is overlooked.

You want nutrient poor soils for most carnivorous plants including Venus Flytraps. I would just mix the perlite and long fibre sphagnum moss in roughly equal amounts leaning to a higher proportion of LFS. Straight LFS would be fine too. You can chop it up coarsely if you wish. Wet it first before mixing.

Back