What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

max temperature for a VFT

What is the max temperature a VFT can grow in?

I am getting some 40c (104f) degree days and I am wondering if they will be fine (they are always in water).

If they are fine at 40c (104f) than what is the max temperature?

Thanks

I think the max temperature is around 110-115 if they are kept wet and the soil is cooler than the air. It gets hot in New York. The summers are around 90-100 and the flytraps are fine.
Where are you? Somewhere in the southern hemisphere?

Yeah, Australia. I have them next to a bright window. Should I shut the curtain and keep them is the dark if temp raises over 45c (113f) letting them cool a bit before reopening the curtain.

Try it with 1 plant. Would be a neat experiment. Keep him out there all day long with all the water he needs but in the blazing sun..

weird.. that was supposed to be cobra plant's site.. I guess they filter it out so no one can spam the forum. If you know the address, fill in the blank.

(Can't work out the link)

Has anyone else had temperatures over 40c (104f)? if so how well have they grown?

I keep mine outside all summer and last summer it got up over 100F. The air here is very dry, so mine showed some signs of "singeing" on the cilia, but they grew fine. If you can, it's probably best to protect them from the heat of the day with shade cloth or something similar.

I think yours will survive it. Just keep them wet.

Back