What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PICS Winter Growing VFTs

Jefforever

A yellow M&M
In November, I bought 2 tubes of flytraps from a grocery outlet store. They were about $3 each and didn't look too bad.

It was a killer deal. Each tube had about 5 plants in it, and then I took cuttings. I'm making them skip dormancy this winter, but next winter I'll let them rest.

I've even gotten one to flower! Here's some pics.

My setup downstairs (they're in the back/right corner):

IMG_3249.jpg

Got 4 florescent tubes over them...

IMG_3251.jpg

The first VFT cuttings I've EVER gotten to strike. Ever!:

IMG_3256.jpg

More plantlets:

IMG_3253.jpg

Largest plant:

IMG_3258.jpg

Looks banded, doesn't it? That's one of the reasons I got it:

IMG_3257.jpg

And an overflowing dollartree beer stein, haha:

IMG_3224.jpg

And an old pic of D. falconeri digesting its prey:

IMG_1499.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Looking great! Congratulations on the flower and cuttings. I hope you update on the one with the band. :)

Actually I cut the flower so that I wouldn't weaken the plant. I see plenty of those out in the green house in spring.

I'll post more photos on my banded one during the summer, hopefully. :)

Very nice looking plants! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on your cuttings striking.

very cool. I appreciate you saving those poor little buggers. To bad they didnt develop legs so they could leave crappy grocery stores lol. I guess that would make em even harder to grow lol. wow to much cough syrup. Ok serious question. I was wondering about your lights. I noticed they are not directly over your plants. I recently changed from covering an 18"x18"x18" Exoterra tank with one Exoterra 2.0 CFL and it was about 8 inches above the plants and about 10-12 to the outlying plants. (I recently got into Permaculture and I am doing tons of seedings for lettuce and stuff. I bought lots of flourescent lights and a shelf to make a grow rack!) I got daylight t-12 40 watt bulbs. I got two for my tanks and I am now growing my plants with the light at the least a 12" away from my tallest plant ( capensis ) I am wondering if they are going to get enough lumines? I have [4] t-12 40 watt daylight bulbs above them. I have no way to raise the plants or lower the lights. thx

Does anyone know the numbers on running 14 2 bulb t-12 flourescent lights in your house 14 hrs a day?

Picture
P1300091.jpg

Thanks guys;

Ok serious question. I was wondering about your lights. I noticed they are not directly over your plants. I recently changed from covering an 18"x18"x18" Exoterra tank with one Exoterra 2.0 CFL and it was about 8 inches above the plants and about 10-12 to the outlying plants. I got daylight t-12 40 watt bulbs. I got two for my tanks and I am now growing my plants with the light at the least a 12" away from my tallest plant ( capensis ) I am wondering if they are going to get enough lumines? I have [4] t-12 40 watt daylight bulbs above them.

Yeah, I'd assume any light bulbs that come in some sort of kit wouldn't be the best for cps.
I don't know very much about lights, but I do know that you should get the kind with the highest color index... that makes it closer to daylight.

Basically what I do is grab the cheapest fixture at some store (like Home Depot) and find the cheapest florescent tubes with the highest color index rating (it's on the florescent tube packaging).

I have no way to raise the plants or lower the lights. thx

Are you sure? You can't just find some plastic box or a bunch of wood to raise your plants up?

Does anyone know the numbers on running 14 2 bulb t-12 flourescent lights in your house 14 hrs a day?

Do you mean cost? No clue, sorry.

Good luck. :-D

Back