What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long to mature

Okay so I planted my venus fly traps a while back last year in around june i'm guessing. Anyways, my little venus fly traps are still pretty dang small and don't seem to be getting big very fast. Is this normal? How long does it usually take a plant to get big and hefty? It could be the winter stuff slowing them down right now but in florida we don't have much of a winter. The hours of sunlight have been way less though which i guess is affecting them a bit. The temp though has only got cold a few times though.

Thanks

Are your plants seedlings or are they just small plants? Either way, they'll probably look pretty small until April or so until assuming you live in the northern hemisphere.

If they are seedlings, they can take up to 5 years to reach maturity. After 3 years, they'll likely be pretty large, but for the first couple of years, they are usually really small.

If they are mature plants, once they come out of dormancy and resume growth in the spring, they'll likely be pretty large assuming they're healthy.

I grew them from seeds. Planted them in June.

Being outdoors in Florida is perfect..
and yes, the less daylight and (relatively) cooler temps in the the winter will cause them to go dormant..which is a good thing.

they will take about 5 years to reach adult size..
just keep them outdoors 24/7/365 and they will get there eventually!

you have perfect growing conditions..you are very lucky.

Scot

Being outdoors in Florida is perfect..
and yes, the less daylight and (relatively) cooler temps in the the winter will cause them to go dormant..which is a good thing.

they will take about 5 years to reach adult size..
just keep them outdoors 24/7/365 and they will get there eventually!

you have perfect growing conditions..you are very lucky.

Scot

Unfortunately I can't where I live right now. I live in a town hose and the yard people around here which i have no control over really suck. They spray chemicals all the time and blow all out plants away with their blowers. I keep them in the window right now. Once I move they'll be outside all the time.

why not setup a large pot(minibog)? i doubt they'll spray chemicals in potted plants or blow them away with their blowers. if thats not possible, how about setting up a window planter box and set it outside your window?

if you want mature vfts, you could always go get the death cube/dome from the store.

why not setup a large pot(minibog)? i doubt they'll spray chemicals in potted plants or blow them away with their blowers. if thats not possible, how about setting up a window planter box and set it outside your window?

if you want mature vfts, you could always go get the death cube/dome from the store.

Yeah, I may do something outside the window sometime up on the second floor where nothing can screw with them.

Back