What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

upkeep of a freshly ordered

Hello everyone!
may i first start off by saying thank you for taking the time to review my post and that
it is really a pleasure to be a part of this group

so down to the logistics, i have searched but am still a little weary on some of the topics dealing with the upkeep of my newly purchased VFT
things such as, dormancy is what i am most condused about
i have read different things such as having to put within a refrigerator etcc.

I have purchased the Dentate Traps' from fly trap shop .com as most of you may have guessed.
there is nothing more that i would rather have to furnish healthy beautiful Scarlett red Flytraps from the get go
so i was hoping that some of you may provide me with the info that is needed from the moment i find the box on my doorstep.

I live in the Los Angeles area of Cali and we are known for our weather...
is it necessary that i purchase some sort of flourescent lighting or is the natural light from the sun okay.

i plan on keeping the VFT within my room where i have a nice big window to suit...
thank you for your time
and i look forward to hearing what you all have to say

- Elijah

id actually grow it outside, in full sun. just water it with some distilled water or reverse osmosis water from the store, since rainwater isnt too common in that area. my sister lives down in San Diego and i sent her a couple of flytraps which have been growing happily there and went dormant for her naturally.

Yippee, another LA grower! Most people down here leave their plants outside, but from the rains we got, you might want to shield them. Our winters are fine and not too harsh, yet not too hot for them to go dormant, so they can be left outside for dormacy as well. They should be in a water dish all the time. During the summer, it might get too hot, so make sure that there is water in their dish, and if it gets too hot, you might want to shade it. But overall, i leave most of my plants outside. Another thing :welcome:Welcome to TF!

Edit:Argghhhh SK, you beat me to the post. -.-

great!!!

sounds good and thanks for the feedback

vft's don't do weel with fluorescent light, well, in my experience at least... outside and watered, avoid real hot sun and you're good to go.

Well, the guys above pretty much covered everything- I just wanted to say :welcome: :) The plants are just now starting to wake up and flower, so if you get a flower typically it's suggested to cut it off (especially if it's new to you). Since it's just now waking up from dormancy there shouldn't be any type of acclimation needed or anything, and it should soon be putting on some nice new growth.
Andrew

In LA you can grow your flytrap outside all year long and it will thrive. You're very lucky to live in a place where that's possible. Just put it in a sunny spot and give it plenty of water and it will likely grow like a weed.

Back