What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

waking up the VFTs

NaRnAr

Ive got Crabs!
The weather is starting to get nice here...i have crocus and tulips coming up, so I thought it would be about time to start waking up the VFTs and Sarr. Am I correct in doing this?

The next week of weather (zone 5, Denver, CO) is day highs of around 50-70 and night lows of 24-38. They wont be outside, rather in next to the patio door. Although I might take them out during the day when im home and let them hang out on the balcony in a shady/partial sun corner.

Thru the plastic wrap, everyone looks good...a little mold looking stuff but they are green! This is my first go at post-dormancy.

gah...I LOVE spring weather!!!:-O

I've been sitting mine out on warm days for the past few weeks...it's been such a mild winter here. I noticed last Tuesday that one plant even caught a fly. I was quite surprised that the traps were active. New growth is forming on all my VFTs. I'm even leaving them out at night this week, due to the record warm spell, but will make sure to take them back into the garage on cooler evenings.

Ah! A couple fellow Coloradans! I'm up in Boulder and I've had my plants on an unheated porch all winter. They've really starting growing a lot in the last couple of weeks. They were pretty much dormant from the middle of October to the middle of February, but this mild spring-like weather definitely has them perking up.

I too have been putting them outside on these unseasonably warm days. I'd say go for it in terms of waking your plants up. Just shelter them a bit when it freezes.

If either of you guys are interested, I'm trying to form a group of Colorado growers to network with. You can check it out on my site here:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/groups/viewgroup/36-Colorado+Dionaea+Growers.html

Also, it would be great to have you all on the forum on my site:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3

It's always nice to connect with other growers in your area.

I would wait about another month and keep tabs on the 15 day outlook from Accuweather.

Well I decided to go ahead and get em out...well see! Sounds like you guys traps are doing good so far :D I will definitely shelter them as the weather goes up and down...they are out enjoying the warmth of today though. Beautiful!!

Ill have to check out youre sites, it is nice to be able to contact local growers :D

Your plants will be fine getting them out now. Just be sure to shelter them when the weather gets down to freezing again (which I'm sure it will). A sunny window sill or an unheated porch or garage with good windows would work well.

Its been SO nice here, they have all been outside for about 5 days now! Looks like the bigger VFT is starting to put out some traps. :D

Its suppose to get down to 45h/39L Monday and Tuesday with some rain and snow, should i bring them back in for this or leave them out and shelter them from the snow?

I'd personally bring em in... the snow would really set em back or freak em out this time of year...

Yeah, I'd shelter them too. Bring them in until this storm passes.

Alrighty! Will do! At least they have a couple more days of pure sun before they have to come it :)

Ya know... I did that last year with my Sarracenias. They had flower scapes and when I brough them in the scapes reacted and withered. In my opinion, if the temps aren't going to get too much below freezing, you're better off leaving them outside.

So I ended up bringing them in....probably a good thing, my balcony has two feet of snow on it. I have them sitting right at the door so they are still getting part of the "weather" just not the precipitation. So far they look alright. A squirrel completely demolished one of my traps, not sure if it was going to come back....but now its completely gone..vanished...kaput. *rolling eyes*sigh*

Yep, similar here. We have 14 inches of snow here in Boulder. I've kept my plants indoors the last few days.

Don't forget, my fellow Coloradoans, that we are not safe from frosts until the middle of May....or some years later. My mini-bogs are back in the garage. Looking at next week's forecast, I'm not sure how much time they are going to spend outside.

I think you'll need another few weeks before the overnight lows won't be too cold. But once you bring them outside, it's best to keep them outside.

I've had my VFT's gnawed to the surface (as well as uprooted and tossed aside). The ones that were gnawed to the media did recover a few weeks later. It's like a "Samson Effect".

Don't forget, my fellow Coloradoans, that we are not safe from frosts until the middle of May....or some years later. My mini-bogs are back in the garage. Looking at next week's forecast, I'm not sure how much time they are going to spend outside.
Yep, for sure. Usually I take my plants outside sometime in the middle of April or late April once the chance of freezing has passed, but the chance of frost is still there for another month. If there is a chance of frost, I usually cover them with a tarp at night.

I think you'll need another few weeks before the overnight lows won't be too cold. But once you bring them outside, it's best to keep them outside.
It's true that once they are outside, it's best to leave them out there, but it's better to bring them inside than letting them freeze solid outside as would have happened here the last few days.

I've actually not noticed any ill effects of bringing my plants in at night during the questionable spring months.

So far my trap is doing well by the door, its got 10 or so new traps coming up so far.

Frost is definitely something we have for a while. I usually dont leave any of the susceptible plants out unless the night time temps arent forcasted to go below 40. But right now the only things I feel safe with outside are the roses, lilacs, tulips, pansies, and daffodils. Ive brought everything else in and its lined up next to the balcony door...its still chilly, and they get light, just no snow/freezing rain. :)

That trap the squirrel got is completely gone, theres nothing left in the pot...she apprently wanted a trap of her very own ;) :crazy:

Back