What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thirsty Bee

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
For the past several weeks I've noticed honey bees drinking from my Sphagnum toppings. Lucky for them trap growth is just starting up.

Observe the extended proboscis.

P3040039copy.jpg

That's odd. I notice wasps doing the same thing except with damp tiles and rocks.

Every once in a while I see bees drinking water from my plants, but usually it's wasps as Mr. Truncata says.

I have a couple of hummingbirds that keep buzzing my S. x "Dana's Delight" and S. 'Hummer's Okee Classic'. They must find the red pitchers irresistible even though they never get anything to eat.

Last edited:
Hah, that's funny. I haven't had that happen to my "Dana's Delight" yet.

Lol, cool. I once saw a hummingbird buzzing around my VFTs, poking it's beak around through the red traps. I guess it liked the color or something.

Maybe they're after the nectar bait? I see hummingbirds in my yard frequently, but they don't seem to pay much attention to my CPs - they're always hanging around the Nasturtium flowers.
~Joe

Hummingbirds are naturally attracted to the color red. That is why most hummingbird feeders have red where they get the liquid.

wow that looks comfortable.

Great shot!

Make sure you post a sign telling them that you will not be held responsible for anything that happens in the near future!

Back