What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pot questions

Indigo

Learning How To Multiply
Hi Guys i need help again :blush: due to a unsuccess dormacy for my vft and D.binata, the reason for death is neglected and top watering in below freezing temperature. and now i m going to start over again but this time i m thinking of mini bog, maybe a 16" ~ 20" mini bog? and my question is does small pot decrease the successrate of outdoor dormacy? since the pot is small and easily get frozen by chilly wind. and dry up more quickly?? and i have went to some garden center the one they have in mini bog produce bigger traps than those that in small little pot. it is the wider root system that give the VFT bigger trap??? so many questionsss please help me out guys and ladiess

A general rule is the bigger something is the more time it will take to change it.
This applies to humidity, temperature etc... I have mine growing in a 20 gallon container I got at Lowe's which lets the root systems dig deep and develop quite well and gives good results in winter when you're wanting to split a rhizome.

A certain Ranch online sells "High-Density Polyurethane Foam Planters", basically styrofoam planters. My new VFTs from FlyTrapShop are going to end up in those, I think. Suppsoedly they are better for keeping the temperatures down in your plants.

hmm ya i kno that ranch loll i got few bag of seed from him. but i was thinking something bigger i will head to lowes of homedepot to get some =p and resuce some plants along the way

yeah the bigger the pot equals the more insulation you've got around your plants... although you dont need a 20 gallon bog to house a VFT over the winter...

but what was the reason for death on these plants during dormancy?
were the rhizomes just mush?... because that'd typically mean that they were kept to wet..?

well i didn;t had anything cover them for the winter and the soil dry out very quickly once i see the soil start to detach around the pot i need to water it or the soil will get too dry for the vft and eventually sudden death. but when i water it and went inside the house the water stays on top and freeze with the vft on top i guess the soil was frozen unable to drain and thats how the vft got killed. its llike putting the vft in the freezer with a bowl of water. amen

As French points out, the larger something is, the more it resists sudden temperature drops or rises. This is known as thermal mass - you can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_mass

If you don't mind having a small VFT in a large container, it will surely reward you with better growth. When it comes to plants larger is always better.

Winterizing is an interesting subject, to be honest... I'm in Zone 6 (Twin Falls, ID) and had several weeks of sub-freezing weather this winter -- I'm talking temperatures in the single digit F here. I am fairly certain I lost every single plant, save a few really tough strawberries, that I had outside.

I made no attempt to winterize any of them, I just put the pots right out on the porch and left them there.

Next winter things are going to be different. My current plan is to take the more precious plants, trim them down, and then put them in the fridge. Stuff like the Cobra Lily that are in huge pots already are probably going to be dug up and put in a zip-lock bag so they'll fit in the fridge, the Cobra Lily is in 100% LFS so that should be easyish to do.

Plan B is to put the plants, pots and all, in a garbage bag, fill it with straw, and put it as close to the french doors leading out to my deck area. Supposedly the straw will decompose, warming the pots up, while the garbage bags will keep the plants from getting any wind chill, and having them closer to the doors will give it some heat, as well. Supposedly being in bags won't hurt the plants at that kinda temperatures, as they won't be trying to get any sunlight anyway.

ok today i went to homedepot and lowe's i try to find a good pot but so many. what size pot is consider as bog? they all look liek pot to me. and do i need a pot with a hole? or no hole? with tray? and what kinda of pot that is best for Cp fiberglass? plastic? faom?

How many plants are you going to plant? Just the one venus flytrap? I use a standard 6" plastic pot for mine right now.

How many plants are you going to plant? Just the one venus flytrap? I use a standard 6" plastic pot for mine right now.

Maybe 10?

10 flytraps or anything else? If that's all you have then go big. Get that big huge 12in pot and wow it out with a bunch of flytraps!

10? Yeha, 10 would be time for a good sized planter.

Maybe a wine barrel planter? Cut hot-dog style?

Back