What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Unshaved" Tipitiwitchets coming out of dormancy . . .

Spring has finally arrived and one tray of Dionaea mucipula cv. B52 is finally showing some early progress in the last few weeks. In February, they were actually submerged for time with the rain, here in Northern California. It certainly bodes well for Summer and Fall when the traps reach their largest size. Currently, the largest are about 3.8 cm (1.5") and there is already the oh, so calming hum of struggling insect prey.

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke in the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the caliber of the company that you have been keeping . . .

"Tipitiwitchets" B52

B52.jpg

B52s.jpg

Amazing VFTs. I can't grow VFTs, they seem to die on me. Even the one I got last summer seems to be dying, the traps are beginning to look deformed, but it may be because of the flower stalk it's making. Do they enjoy being a bit drier than Sarracenias, or what?

Amazing VFTs. I can't grow VFTs, they seem to die on me. Even the one I got last summer seems to be dying, the traps are beginning to look deformed, but it may be because of the flower stalk it's making. Do they enjoy being a bit drier than Sarracenias, or what?

Thanks and sorry to hear about the misfortune. . .

I generally keep the plants outside in trays with about an inch or so of water and give them about as much sun as they will tolerate. I have never been that satisfied or successful growing them under lights. They do require less water than Sarracenia in most respects (many growers I know cultivate Sarracenia in undrained pots); and if your traps are appearing "deformed," I would immediately suspect aphids. They can be very tiny -- pinhead size -- and go overlooked until they affect the vegetation; and I would definitely trim the flower stalk if the plant is already under stress.

Give Dionaea lots of sun (more than you think it needs and until the traps and "teeth" turn red), some warmth during the day, plenty of water but not waterlogged, and you'll be fine . . .

deformed traps likely means some sort of sap sucking pest dining on your plants........

deformed traps likely means some sort of sap sucking pest dining on your plants........

I certainly know that aphids are capable of that activity and had a nasty bout of them last year . . .

To all of those early horticulturalists who -- under the influence of heatstroke and the humid hell of the Carolinas -- fancied that the traps of Dionaea resembled female genitalia, all that I can say is that I honestly question the company that you have been keeping . . .
LOL. I've always thought the same thing!

Very nice plants. Hopefully mine will perk up as nice as these.

Very nice looking VFTs you have there.

They look great, even if they didn't just get up from sleep!

They look great, even if they didn't just get up from sleep!

Thanks . . .

Last month, they were underwater during the February rains and were pathetic-looking to say the least. Now, they are already trapping things left and right and a couple have attempted to bloom . . .

Man, very nice traps! My Fred Meyer's plant refuses to grow. :( I put it through dormancy, and cut off TWO forming flower stalks, and now it has sat there with pathetic excuses for leaves, not moving a bit. I only hope it can get on the right track before summer comes, or it might be a rough year for this poor Dionea.

Any ideas on giving it a jump start into spring?

Man, very nice traps! My Fred Meyer's plant refuses to grow. :( I put it through dormancy, and cut off TWO forming flower stalks, and now it has sat there with pathetic excuses for leaves, not moving a bit. I only hope it can get on the right track before summer comes, or it might be a rough year for this poor Dionea.

The Fred Meyer's Cube of Death -- I know it well from the Salem area. I would give it as much sun as you can without cremating it (you'd be surprised at how much they tolerate and require for health), and really think about replacing its stock compost with a fresh 1:1 mix of sphagnum peat moss and horticultural sand (my personal favorite) and place it in a larger pot. New compost really perks them up, replaces often mineral-laden soil from hard water -- 'tweaks the pH" -- and I usually replace it each year . . .

Beautiful photos big bella! LOL @ the title! Those are spectacular plants!!

Beautiful photos big bella! LOL @ the title! Those are spectacular plants!!

Thanks, it is a terrible joke and I am sure that I will pay in blood -- but I was in a foul state of mind at that time . . . and now . . .

Spring is beginning to do its thing, however slowly . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. "B52"

B52-1.jpg

B52c.jpg

nice plants david.
my plants are all just slowly coming into some good growth.
I just sprayed the sarras and flytraps tonight with some orthene, aphids seem to be getting to a few pitchers, happened last year too. though much worse last year, this year should be easy...ill be released some mantids into the area shortly
bwahahhaha

Are you bringing those to the show?

That is a nasty title indeed...

nice plants david.
my plants are all just slowly coming into some good growth.
I just sprayed the sarras and flytraps tonight with some orthene, aphids seem to be getting to a few pitchers, happened last year too. though much worse last year, this year should be easy...ill be released some mantids into the area shortly
bwahahhaha

Thanks . . .

It finally looks like growing is ramping up on many plants but a few have been on the slower side this year -- most notably two divisions of one of the original von Schmeling "B52" plants, which are now putting out their first wide-petiole Spring leaves. The other plants look to be ready for Summer -- upright, larger traps . . .

One dominant thing about this cultivar -- aside from its obvious size -- is that the traps seem amazingly long-lived and vigorous. One of the larger leaves has consumed five good-sized flies and still looks ready for action . . .

Back