What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Acquisitions, Preliminary Pictures

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Picture106.jpg
Low Giant

Picture107.jpg
Triffid Traps

Picture110.jpg
Cross Teeth

Picture111.jpg
Pink Venus

Picture150.jpg
Burbank's Best

Picture115-3.jpg
Dentate

Picture116.jpg
Paradisia

Picture123-1.jpg
Red Dragon

Picture119.jpg
Yellow

Picture121.jpg
Justina Davis

Picture134.jpg
Cross Teeth

Picture135.jpg
Fused Tooth

Picture136.jpg
Fine Tooth x Red

Very cool . . .

What are the attributes of Burbank's Best and Triffid Traps? Every photo that I have seen varied a great deal . . .

LOL! I haven't a clue! JFoley sent them to me. I would start with her.

Congrats on your new additions! I'm jealous...JFoley has some "Cross Teeth" plants huh? The one I have isn't looking so good, so I'd like to get my hands on another.

Congrats on your new additions! I'm jealous...JFoley has some "Cross Teeth" plants huh? The one I have isn't looking so good, so I'd like to get my hands on another.

I was trying not to draw attention to her. I'd hate to see her being bombarded with requests. I get that all the time with pings and it can be awkward. I'd rather send you a basal leaf cutting than have her be put in an uncomfortable position.

What are the attributes of Burbank's Best and Triffid Traps? Every photo that I have seen varied a great deal . . .
There are lots of VFTs that have been "named" by someone, either because they thought they looked different from other plants growing under their particular conditions, or because they thought giving a VFT a different name would increase sales or trading value.

I have been growing numerous "named" clones of VFTs for years. I grow them outdoors in full sun, in a greenhouse in full sun, and in a greenhouse that receives sun only a few hours a day. All are grown in 100% Canadian Sphagnum peat in 4-inch pots. Many of these "named" plants when grown under different conditions will often look quite different; or conversely, when grown under identical conditions next to one another, many are indistinguishable.

There are 25 registered VFT cultivar names
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/names.php?name=Dionaea
of which only 19 are officially registered as cultivars with ICRA.

There are perhaps 100 additional informal unregistered names for which the plants are likely not different from one of the registered cultivars. There are exceptions, such as perhaps "Cudo", that will likely become registered cultivars in the future.

I was trying not to draw attention to her. I'd hate to see her being bombarded with requests. I get that all the time with pings and it can be awkward. I'd rather send you a basal leaf cutting than have her be put in an uncomfortable position.
Yeah, I understand. I hesitate in contacting people because I know exactly what you mean about how it can get awkward. I hadn't planned on contacting her. I was just making a note of who had the plant.

Yeah, I understand. I hesitate in contacting people because I know exactly what you mean about how it can get awkward. I hadn't planned on contacting her. I was just making a note of who had the plant.

Phhheewww... what a relief! (I still have to put together my end of the trade!)

Bob, I corrected my reference to it. Thanks for catching it.

I agree with Bob.

I also think that some named plants are just not so spectacular as to be worthy of a cultivar name, at least judging from my growing conditions. They're certainly nice and I enjoy growing them though. I also use only lfs and 4 inch pots and my plants are very robust.

Some I feel are worthy are B52, fused tooth, cross teeth, low giant, pink venus, justina davis (although not my main justina as it's a sad mutant) and sawtooth among others.

I really can't remember their summer growth right now, but I believe I was on the fence with Burbank's Best, but I was leaning towards liking it. Triffid Traps just seemed to grow rapidly and divide, not the largest traps, just a clumping type of grower. This year they may amaze me as they will be older.

My cross teeth is too small to divide right now. I just included a tiny one for Jim. I didn't list it in my trade simply because it's "not worthy of trading yet". Next year it will be.

Good growing guys. JoAnn

Last edited:
Family Portrait:

Picture014-5.jpg

Nice.. looks like a very healthy basket to me. And check out the traps on the second from the right, second row. They look huge!

Are your VFTs in pure LFS or is that just topping?

It's mostly LFS, with a mix of sand/peat/perlite in the bottom 1/3. And when the temps finally stay above freezing, they will be going outside. I plant to transfer the entire contents of each pot into these prepared pots in planters:

Picture030-2.jpg

Fresh pics:

Picture026-4.jpg

Picture027-4.jpg

Picture028-5.jpg

Picture029-2.jpg

Picture030-5.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture033-3.jpg

Picture034-3.jpg

Picture035-6.jpg

Picture036-3.jpg

Picture037-2.jpg

Looking good!

It was a rough spring, killing all of the flower stalks and destroying most of the leaves. Fortunately, the plants were still alive.

Back