What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 New VFTs

3VFT.jpg

Picked this up this week from Andrew's shop. That picture was taken late yesterday, fresh after repotting them in that big pot. The closest one has been outside in this weather for a few weeks (and is a TC plant I think, got it at a local grocery store). The one to the left is Dente, the one in the back is Akai Ryu.

Well, last night was colder than I expected. I woke up to find it was about 28 degrees F at 6 AM. Last week it was around 40F or so at night, so... yeah. Was hoping the temps were ok, but, might need to re-evaluate.

Right now it's apparently 60F on the porch, but that might be off. The plants, they aren't happy:

akai.jpg

dente.jpg

The rhyzomes seem fine, so in theory they'll be ok. Andrew tried to warn me to protect them from frost, but I was worried about bringing them in from 37 F outside to 68-70F inside the apartment. :/ The pot they are in is 10" wide, so the fridge isn't an option...

The tracyi nearby is similarly wilty, but it has a new shoot that seems to be coming up, so I'm hopeful the VFTs will recover. The White Trumpet and Cobra Lily nearby seem to be ignoring the temperature changes, so... yeah....

looks like well rested vfts =]

Congrats on the new flytraps.

Don't worry. As long as there is still green, they'll come back. Right now they are just adjusting to their new envireonment and conditions.

The flytraps I just divided have lost almost all of their foliage, but seem to still be coming back.

Good luck!

I'm mostly worried about the below freezing temps at night. I was hoping to avoid them...

I am glad that I got those foam pots, however. Even at 28F (at 6 AM, so, assume about 24F in the middle of the night) only the first inch or so froze. In fact, the first night it happened, I just poured some fresh room temperature Distilled water on them and they thawed out.

Currently out of water, though, so... heh.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the temps unless the plants were already in full growth from when you recieved them.
If they were, I would bring them inside until the temps become warmer.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the temps unless the plants were already in full growth from when you recieved them.
If they were, I would bring them inside until the temps become warmer.

Andrew mentioned that in his greenhouse, he was having to clip flower stalks, so I would presume they were, yes.

What's a quick way to give them a little bit of help winterizing? I was thinking moving them against the wall during nights and/or encasing them in a garbage bag at night? Would that help?

It's 36F right now outside, so I have to assume it'll be 28F again tonight, or worse.

Andrew mentioned that in his greenhouse, he was having to clip flower stalks, so I would presume they were, yes.

What's a quick way to give them a little bit of help winterizing? I was thinking moving them against the wall during nights and/or encasing them in a garbage bag at night? Would that help?

It's 36F right now outside, so I have to assume it'll be 28F again tonight, or worse.

Winterizing plants protects them from a constantly freezing cold climate. In this case you only need them to be in relatively warmer temperatures over night, so no need for winterizing.

A much easier solution would be to just bring them inside over night. The temp difference in your house shouldn't be a problem.

Hm, if the shock of going from 35 to 70 for 8-9 hours a night won't kill them, sure, I can do that. :)

Wonder if I should bring in the plants that seem to be fine with it (Darlingtonia and Sarracenia leucophylla) in as well...

Hm, if the shock of going from 35 to 70 for 8-9 hours a night won't kill them, sure, I can do that. :)

Wonder if I should bring in the plants that seem to be fine with it (Darlingtonia and Sarracenia leucophylla) in as well...

No no, if the plants are used to it, that's perfect. The whole point of bringing the flytraps in is because they aren't used to or fine with it.
The plants that are fine with the temps are likely still in dormancy. Bringing those in could have opposite effects and/or interfere with their natural schedule.

Well, the Darlingtonia and Sarracenia have both sent up new growth, so I don't think they're asleep.

It's just that both of them seem unphased by the temperatures.

25F this morning at 6 AM. Colder than yesterday. Glad the VFT and Tracyi are in the kitchen. ;)

Back