What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Winter dormancy in Phoenix

Although it's MONTHS away, I want my little Flytrap to be prepared for dormancy. Right now I grow it in a terrarium, and I'm planning to put it outside during the winter by getting it used to sunlight and temps outdoors starting in the middle of October. Light obviously reduces around that time, so no problem there, but would these temperatures be sufficient enough to get the plant to go to sleep for the winter in Phoenix?

October- Avg. high: 88 Degrees Fahrenheit, Avg. Low: 63
November- Avg high: 75, Avg. low: 50
December- Avg high: 70, Avg. low: 44
January- Avg high: 67, Avg low: 45
February- Avg high: 71, Avg low: 48

If these temps are too warm should I use a refrigerated dormancy?

Yes, 40's - 50's would be good.

As Halt says, those temps would work well.

wow..that is a TOASTY warm winter! ;)
(compared to much of the USA anyway..)

its definitely on the warm side..much warmer than VFT's get in their native climate..
but if you get those nightime lows in the 40's and 50's, it should work fine..

you should put the plant outside right now..leave it outside every day of the year..
the terrarium is pointless, and is worse for your plant than leaving it outside..

yes I know, you have very hot summers..but the plant can handle it, as long as its always in a tray of water.

Scot

Those winter temps look fine for dormancy outside. I would put the plants in the shade during winter to keep them from getting overly warm. They will still get enough light in the shade to stay healthy.

Back