What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange...

Recently I noticed that my Venus Flytrap has been growing with some spring-summer traps but after the last one opened, the growing point has absolutely NOTHING growing out of it. ??? This is starting to concern me.

Quick question: Based on your guys' experiences, right before a VFT sends up its flower stalk does it stop the making of traps until after the flower stalk has formed?

Last edited:
My flytraps put out traps while flowering....where are you growing the plant at?
what are you growing it in?

Don't worry. Spring traps are always wacky.

My flytraps put out traps while flowering....where are you growing the plant at?
what are you growing it in?

I grow it with my other CP's in a 78-84 degree, 40-75% humidity environment. It's in a 5 inch pot with a 1:1 peat/sand mix with LFS as a medium dressing. The water level stays around 1/2- 3/4 of an inch of water. I let the water evaporate, wait a day, and then refill the tray again. The plant is grown 4- 4.5 inches under two 100w, 1600 lumen, 5500K standard fluorescent bulbs for 15 hours a day. It's growing quite rapidly but I have no clue as to why there are no new traps emerging

Why arent you growing it outside hahahha
Andy, the owner of this forum, better known as adnedarn, can offer you more information on growing there in AZ

I wanted to start out pretty easy...the temps here in Phoenix can fluctuate dramatically, so I thought a terrarium would be a nice way to begin growing CP's: Optimum growing temps, sufficient humidity, good light.

I sent him a message. If I do grow it outside, I'll put it in a bottle terrarium to keep humidity up. I would also plan on growing it on my east-facing front porch that gets about 6-8 hours of light a day. Is this enough light?

You will learn soon enough that humidity is the least of your worries when caring for these VFTs :D .. unless you have really dry strong dry wind.. That will dehydrate quite a few plants though..

Last edited:
You will learn soon enough that humidity is the least of your worries when caring for these VFTs :D .. unless you have really dry strong dry wind.. That will dehydrate quite a few plants though..

Not exactly strong but it is quite dry :/

Cali is dry, Vfts do fine out here. That's why you water plants. ;) Humidity is only needed by nepenthes, cephs, helis and stuff.

Meh...I guess I'll accustom it to the Sonora Desert then. But wouldn't they still need at least a good amount of humidity to keep them from baking under the AZ sun? Phoenix is definitely hotter than any other place in the country, other than Death Valley and a few western cities in AZ(Bullhead City, Yuma, Lake Havasu City). Andy said he grew his in pretty humid environments(in his greenhouse; in windows near swampcoolers) that did get quite warm, so I'll probably give it a try...when I get more than one VFT. Once I propagate the plant via leaf/stalk cuttings, I'll feel less anxious about letting them grow outside.

The thing you have to worry about is making sure the soil they are in does not cook them. Or that it does not dry out.

That's not really bothering me. I have pretty deep water trays that'll keep the plant nicely hydrated. I use refrigerated water so that the soil stays cool enough that it doesn't cook the roots.

Back