What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little advise please on aphid removal

Hi all

I am back after a long winter... My fly trap doing well...

Uncles pushing up to flower as is mine...

However his one caught the green bugs, I told him to put them outside... Bumped them off...

However there still on it, if there alive or dead how do you treat and remove these please...

I have a couple of questions but not on this thread...

Thanks Wayne

The easiest and cheapest solution is to take the pot and place it in a larger, taller vessel and ovefill the pot, effectively drowning the aphids. A day oughta be enough to handle the situation.

i've dunked my plants for up to 3 days at a time before and while its killed 99% about 3-4 months later I always wind up with a couple of em on the old infected plants that I submerged.

I do a hand removal to keep em at bay...if the population is small enough

Hi all

I am back after a long winter... My fly trap doing well...

Uncles pushing up to flower as is mine...

However his one caught the green bugs, I told him to put them outside... Bumped them off...

However there still on it, if there alive or dead how do you treat and remove these please...

I have a couple of questions but not on this thread...

Thanks Wayne

I have never had satisfactory results from dunking the plants (especially since I have quite a few) -- even for days at a time; and I have resorted to using Ortho Orthenex, a commercially available pesticide.

It killls everything dead . . .

Same here...the drowning method does not work for me either. It seems that somehow some do survive and i'm not referring to the eggs. I tried one day, 2, 3 even 4 days.

i used a commercial pesticide just once, and it absolutely nuked the plant I used it on... it couldve been the fact that i was relatively new to the hobby when i did that... but none the less the wound still hurts sometimes... haha

do you guys dilute your pesticide usage? or.. go by recommended doses?

Thanks

i used a commercial pesticide just once, and it absolutely nuked the plant I used it on... it couldve been the fact that i was relatively new to the hobby when i did that... but none the less the wound still hurts sometimes... haha

do you guys dilute your pesticide usage? or.. go by recommended doses?

Thanks

Just a light misting of the plants is sufficient. Use the pre-mixed Ortho Orthenex spray (for that matter, I don't know that it's available in any other form) early in the morning or at dusk to avoid any possible "burning" of the leaves. I have never had a problem using the material or have experienced any damages.

Most every private and commercial grower that I know, ultimately resorts to using the spray . . .

Well as I said before ... I told him to put them out side at 0 that stopped them, but I am not sure if they have come back...

Would a fridge zap them...

I like the dunk idea...

May be it the eggs... that have not hatched it could require a cycle dunk like with algue treatment ... just a thought

Any more ideas Wayne

Why don't more people know about the wonders of neem oil?

If I were you, I'd go and buy a nice bottle of it right now. It works on every cp with no harm.

I have had 100% success with the dunk method... but then again, I get one plant infected, as opposed to a group of plants or big plants. Mine have been restricted to small, sundews, as opposed to big Sarracenias. If you have just one plant, try drowning. If you have a lot of plants or big ones, then a pesticide would be a better approach.

Hi jefforever

neem oil how do you apply just spay it on ?

Thanks Wayne

Why don't more people know about the wonders of neem oil?

If I were you, I'd go and buy a nice bottle of it right now. It works on every cp with no harm.

i used neem oil before... it smells really.... different. and it got on my hand, which took forever to get off. how do you apply neem oil?

Back