What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the soil from a dead sundew

Hi people

I had a sundew that died ;-( however I still have the pot and soil, is this the same type I can use for the baby fly trap that growing off the side....

I would buy new but I was made unemployed in dec 2008 so I think you get the gist

Wayne

I reuse soil till it looks like it's breaking down. By soil I mean the peat mixture not dirt. Just mix it in with some new and rinse well. New and "special" plants get new soil but for repotting some common stuff this will do for me. Others will say no but it's really up to you.

Well the plant I wanted to put in it was the large baby that's on the side of my mother plant, it's just I was not sure if it was the same type, of soil you know like what VFT like... Bog soil, with nothing in it so to speak

Many thanks Wayne

I reuse my soil too, unless the plant died from disease or was infested by utricularia. That soil ends up in the compost pile.

Well the plant I wanted to put in it was the large baby that's on the side of my mother plant, it's just I was not sure if it was the same type, of soil you know like what VFT like... Bog soil, with nothing in it so to speak

Many thanks Wayne

I know this is 3 days old and you've probably moved with a decision by now, but re-using that soil should be fine, so long as it's something akin to the following -

Fine peat moss (as opposed to backyard earthworm dirt), 50/50 mix of peat/perlite or peat/sand, long-fiber sphagnum - etc.

Typically (and I said TYPICALLY, peat/sand-VFT-people :p), flytraps are grown in the 50/50 peat/perlite mix and sundews are grown in a 50/50 peat/sand mix. The two mixes are basically the same thing - nutritionally-devoid soil.

I'd also consider the possibility that the soil may have killed your sundew, in which case it may kill the VFT...

Second consideration, if the "baby" is growing separately and has its own roots, it's okay to transplant in general. If it's coming up from the "mother's" rhyzome (or is right up against), though, pulling them apart may kill the smaller plant as you'll probably tear its roots.

The dead sundew may come back from the dead if you reuse it.

You could flush the soil with distilled water and sterilize it in a pressure cooker first..

Well it's worked so far... ;-)

Back