What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT flower question

It's definitely the season for flowers! Looking at my outside bogs I have 6 Dionaea flowers coming up. I know that cultivars such as B-52 can only be maintained through division and cannot be propagated through seeds. But what about cultivars such as the Akai Ryu and the cup shape traps? Can these be propagated through seeds or division only like the B-52?
Thanks for reading!

Off-hand I'm not aware of any of the VFT cultivars that have stable characteristics from seed offspring. That's not to say there are not any.

The cultivar description states 'Cupped Trap' should be propagated vegetatively (cuttings, tissue culture, or divisions).
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v33n3p83_89.html#cupped

The description of 'Akai Ryu' does not state other than to note that it is in tissue culture for commercial release with AgriStarts III.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v25n2p50.html

There's no reason why you couldn't grow plants from seed. I would be cautious about calling any of the offspring by the parents cultivar name however.

That was my main question, say I crossed an Akai ryu and a cup shape, would I see traits from both/either or would I obtain a typical VFT.

you'll get offspring that may exhibit traits of these, but you shouldnt refer to them by their parents cultivar names...

you'll get offspring that may exhibit traits of these, but you shouldnt refer to them by their parents cultivar names...

I know for Sarrs that you can use the parents cultivar names, why is this not the case for VFTs?

If you were to self-pollinate lets say the 'Akai Ryu' the offspring should not be labeled 'Akai Ryu' unless the individual offspring plant matches the published description and reference standard photos.

Offspring from crossing D. 'Akai Ryu' and D. 'Cupped Trap' can be identified as D. 'Akai Ryu' x 'Cupped Trap'. If you get an outstanding plant from the cross that exhibits stable characteristics from cuttings or divisions you may want to name it and register a cultivar.

Back