What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Intake On Dionaea

Hey All I Bought Some Plant Pots But The Drainage Hole Were Too Big So I Put Some Tissue At The Bottom Of The Pot So The Media/Compost Didnt Fall Out Of The Bottom Of The Plant It Was Sucking In The Water For A While But Now Its Doesent I Dont Think Its The Tissue As I Cut Some Little Holes In It And Its Still Is Not Sucking In The Water Hehe Maybe Its Had Enough Water ? I Dont Know PLEASE HELP !!! *CRYS* Rofl

Richard

Are you talking normal tissues? Like for your nose?

If so, that probably wasn't the best idea. They will probably deteriorate eventually from the constant water.

You probably just aren't giving it enough time. The capillary action (movement of water through the soil) can sometimes take awhile. Just leave the plant in a bowl of water and come back in an hour or two.

Yes Tissue For Your Nose I could Not Think Of What Eles To put Inside Of The Pot To Stop The Compost Falling Out :D

Richard

Use dead LFS instead.

Dionea can take as much water as you give them, as long as it be RO, Distilled or rainwater.

It Is Rain Water Halt.
Also They Are Not Plants Yet They Are Still Seed If It Makes Difference :D Atall

Richard

1. Get any old pot with normal drainage holes

2. Fill pot with sphagnum moss peat

3. Sit in a tray of rain water

4. Sow seeds

5. Wait

6. Top up water tray whenever it runs out

The peat will suck up with water, but it may take 24 hours if the peat is dry.

Bear in mind that VFT seeds bought in shops rarely germinate - they become unviable after 100 days or so. You'd be better off just buying an adult plant.

P.S. no need for a capital letter at the beginning of every single word!

Ummmm my media is peat/moss/perlite i think and the seeds are sown they are not from the shops as you have said they are from a nursery fresh seeds :D i think i will just have to wait and see what is going on if there is no reason why :p would and algae stop the water intake ?

Richard

P.s hehe sorry i love my caps

I usually put coffee filters in my pots to keep the potting media in.

If the perlite chunks are big enough (1/2+ the diameter of the drain holes) just put a thin layer of pure perlite on the bottom of the pot. The chunks sort of interlock and stabilize to hold the rest of the medium in. Some of the smaller pieces will wash out but it will stabilize.

nice info thanks mate :D much Thankful hehe :)

Richard

Bear in mind that VFT seeds bought in shops rarely germinate - they become unviable after 100 days or so.!
That's not necessisarily true. If seed is stored dry under refridgeration you can get a decent amount of germination even after 2 to 3 years. Collegues of mine have had wonderful germination on seed 6 years old as well.

nice info phil the seeds have been in fridge well the new ones i have not sure how long but they was dry and refridgeratted :) i hope they work my ammegos :D

Back