What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of pot should I use?

After my venus flytrap has been knocked over by wind a few times, I've decided that I need a heavier pot than the little plastic one it's in now.

I repotted it in a terra cotta pot yesterday. Is this fine to use? If not, what kind of pot do I need to be using?

Terra cotta pots can be dangerous to use with most carnivorous plants, since they can build up in minerals over time, and also they require more water. it would be a wiser idea to use just a large plastic pot, or at least a glazed ceramic with drainage holes.

Plant it in a plastic put, but put lots of sand in the soil. This makes it alot heavier.

Washed, lime free horticultural sand. It shouldn't fizz when vinegar is added.

I would just use a nice glazed pot. The local Fred Meyers has them of a variety of colors. I then plop a deep clear plastic saucer under them instead of the standard saucers they come with.

New ceramic pots are OK. Used pots are risky - if there have any mineral deposits, such as that white scaly hard water stuff that tends to build up from tap water, you're in trouble. Glazed pots are OK (but need a thorough washing with RO water and vinegar to remove any residual deposits if used. Unglazed pots can be OK, but those are the most susceptible to mineral deposits, and they also cause your plant to dehydrate much more quickly in dry weather. If you buy a ceramic pot new, and only put CP-safe mix in it, and only use CP-safe water, it should never have a chance to accumulate mineral deposits and, theoretically, should be usable indefinitely. But plastic might be safer if you're just starting out. Maybe look for a pot that is wider than it is tall; VFTs don't especially appreciate wide pots, but such a pot will be harder to tip over.
~Joe

VFTs don't especially appreciate wide pots, but such a pot will be harder to tip over.
~Joe

... I'm not sure I understand the reasoning there, maybe you know something I dont :)
any help?

Thanks,
Chris

I have used terracotta with all manner of carnivorous plants for years without incident; and if your water source is reliable (below 50 ppm) and it damn well should be, there is no problem with mineral accumulation.

Unglazed ceramic is the secret to growing a number of genera which many growers consider difficult or temperamental at best, including Drosophyllum, Darlingtonia, Heliamphora, and Cephalotus. The porous nature of the terracotta allows much-needed air exchange and some extra watering is a small price to pay for success. Also, top-heavy plants, such as most Sarracenia (one of my S. leucophylla "Titan" and S. minor var. okeefenokeensis will soon be a meter in height) benefit from some extra ballast.

Eventually, most of my plants are going to terracotta pots . . .

vfts have long roots so preferable a tall pot ? that can retain a lot of water to make it heavier.

... I'm not sure I understand the reasoning there, maybe you know something I dont :)
any help?

Thanks,
Chris

I believe the correct explanation is they have a lower or wider center of gravity.

(But I'm no physicist or anything, so don't quote me.)

uhh... I know that a wider pot is harder to tip over... that wasn't the question but maybe thats my fault for not making clear...

i was more concerned with the " vft's dont especially appreciate..." but i think maybe he meant their weren't 'specific' benefits to a wider than normal pots...

Exactly. Once the pot is around twice the diameter of the plant, any wider and the plant doesn't really grow differently. In my experience, at least, they get a much more noticeable benefit from deeper pots.
~Joe

Exactly. Once the pot is around twice the diameter of the plant, any wider and the plant doesn't really grow differently. In my experience, at least, they get a much more noticeable benefit from deeper pots.
~Joe

Agreed. Especially the deeper pot note, its a smart decision.

the only benefit to a wider than normal pot I suppose would be the insulation, if the pot were outside... so that its water amount and temperature doesn't fluctuate so easily...

Around here my plants actually seem to enjoy the temperature fluctuation. Freezing doesn't seem to bother them, and they love it when their roots are kept nice and warm during the grow season. I think it might have something to do with the cooler air temperatures in this region.
~Joe

Back