What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52> Big Vigorous?

How big of a difference is their between the two?

I don't know that one is bigger than another; they're both large plants so I would guess that it would depend on the conditions they were grown it. I think that B52 is on record as having the largest trap ever documented, but I'm not sure.
~Joe

I've grown various Dionaea over the years and every variety or cultivar -- almost without exception -- is capable of reaching at least 5 cm (two inches) in terms of trap length. It is both a function of the plant's age and proper cultivation practices; though, of the two varieties mentioned, it is somewhat simpler to achieve the larger size with the B52 . . .

I've grown various Dionaea over the years and every variety or cultivar -- almost without exception -- is capable of reaching at least 5 cm (two inches) in terms of trap length. It is both a function of the plant's age and proper cultivation practices; though, of the two varieties mentioned, it is somewhat simpler to achieve the larger size with the B52 . . .

I would agree to this, with the obvious note on the ALMOST. i've never seen an "all red form" with anywhere close to a 2'' trap, and then there are clumping forms... miniature forms...and a couple more "wacky" vfts. i.e. cup trap, cross teeth, wacky traps that I've heard are usually restricted to a smaller size...

but I'd say that most green forms or typicals are definitly capable of reaching that size or close to it... I have justina davis that will get over 1.5'' every season and some typicals that have reached that size also.

ive seen Akai Ryu with 2 inch traps at my friends place....
hopefully mine will get some near that this year

Both 'Akai Ryu' and 'Justina Davis' tend to grow long thin petioles throughout most of the growing season. This can make the traps look larger. The traps usually measure out in the 1.5" range.

Measured the trap at just under 2" NaN, it was in the end of May last year, first visit to his place...next time i go, ill see if they are near that again...we are a month or 2 behind schedule up here....had a rather horrid start to spring

Back