What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52 crosses

Has anyone attempted these crosses?

B52 x 'red dragon'

B52 x dente

I am sure someone has. I just wanted to know if they were worth while to attempt.

Thanks!

a general rule of thumb with flytrap cultivars is often times the traits are not passed on, and most offspring are typical flytraps. one of the few cultivars that passes regularly from seed is dentate traps. Sometimes youll get a few seedlings that show the cultivar characteristics

There is no guarantee whatsoever that the large traits and /or color of either cultivar will be carried by its seed-borne progeny; it is far more likely that the offspring will fall within normal size range with perhaps a small number at either end of the spectrum.

I currently have crosses of "Slack's Giant" x "Big Mouth," but the offspring currently fall within average-size range (so far), even though the parents are both particularly large varieties of Dionaea with traps approaching 4.5 cm (1.75") and 5 cm (2" ) . . .

B-52 flowers only give rise to typical fly traps. The only way to maintain the cultivar is through division. As for other cultivars I'm not sure though I am attempting some myself, hopefully they will turn out to be interesting.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I am aware of the genetics behind cultivars, having a minor in both mathematics and biology. Either one sufficient in being able to understand the idea behind dominant and recessive traits and the probabilities of passing them on. The genes present in a B52 do differ slightly from that of a typical. I would imagine that some progeny may be interesting, although most probably would not.

Then again, I don't know the number of genes involved so cannot predict what would happen. That is why I am asking if anyone has tried it.

I think I will try it regardless. It will be fun even though some to all may be plain jane.

dashamn - To answer the question you asked to begin with...YES, these would be worthwhile crosses. Most definitely you will get some interesting color forms using the Red Dragon and you should end up with a small degree of seedlings resembling 'Jaws' if you use the dentate form. I've made these crosses multiple times using my own line bred "giant" form typical rather than the B-52. They look similar but are genetically different.

I've also noticed that selfing and sib crossing out the seedlings have resulted in a wider degree of varieation albeit some looked exactly like the original parent plants. It's always a gamble. I would also strongly suggest you try to cross your B-52 with 'Red Piranha' if you can. You will love the results...especially if you can grow out 50-100 plants. The more seed you produce the better your chances of isolating that one special plant.

Go for it all!

Cool. Thanks philcula! I do have red pirahna but they are at least another year away from flowering and maybe two.

I'll give it a shot!

And another thanks to everyone else who replied. Good info, thanks!

Back